.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

2.22.2006

Could this day get any worse?

It started off off-kilter. The kitten decided to sit where I usually do in the morning, which made it hard for me to check email, drink coffee, etc. Sure, I could have moved her, but she was cute and comfy.

Then my coffee was weird and foamy. I don't know why, and it was generally ok, but it was again an off-kilter thing.

The dvd I wanted to show in class today was at home, but I couldn't find it. I had to search for a long time before I finally did. I was so annoyed with myself this whole time. I also then realized I needed a book to copy readings from and had a lot of trouble finding that. Later on in the morning, I realized I had forgotten another book I needed. Stupid.

My watch died, and I couldn't find another one that worked. I hate not having a watch.

My hair was not behaving.

I went to a coffee shop to work since I can't go to my office at almostivy until noon. I couldn't find an outlet and one hour before I could go to my office, my battery ran out. Everything I need to do today is on my laptop. Also, yesterday it was in the single digits, but today it's in the 40s. Know what that means? Yup, everyplace is too damned hot which makes me feel gross.

I wandered around almostivy area looking for a cheap watch, to no avail. I then check my ipod and I still had 20 minutes. I unfortunately chose stupid shoes so walking in them (with a laptop and 90 student papers on my back) was not fun.

I stopped at starbucks and they seemed unhappy with my drink pickiness, as though it caused them too much trouble to not steam a latte but to still put it in a paper cup. And for some reason, that just felt really important to me.

On my way to my office, I realized that I may have lost my keys. I started panicking. I can't believe I was so stupid as to have lost them. I think I put them in the side pocket of my backpack knowing full well that it has a hole in it (they've never fallen through before). I was panicking so, I began to sweat which makes my bangs frizzy. Super. I got to my office, and yup, they're gone.

I went to the front office to ask for a key to borrow, the secretary (the one who suggested I shop at a plus size store) asked where mine was. I kinda knew that what happened next was coming, but I hoped she'd be nice. I said I may have lost my keys on the way in and she said, "Well, you'd better work on finding them then." No shit sherlock. I said, "I realize that." Would it have killed her to say, "Oh jeez, that sucks. Why don't you borrow the master key for the day until you find them."

Given that I had so much time this a.m. to kill, given that I was searching for a watch, and given that I have to take a bus and a train to get here, there are many many places those damned keys could be. I called the transit people but no lost and found stuff has been turned in yet. I have to wait until this afternoon. I called the coffee shop, but they don't have time to go look at the booth where I was to see if they are there. ARGH! I am going to be panicking about this all fricking day.

Luckily I have an extra set of keys for my house with me. But all my other keys are gone.

To top it off, powerpoint crashed in the middle of me editing my lecture for today, thus not saving many of my changes.

I hate today so much.

5 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Oh Shrinky, I'm sorry. It sounds like you got everyone else's bad karma plus a whole lot of shit no one deserved.

And on top of it all, you turn to blogs for distraction only to find *someone* has posted a bloody great photo of a spider across the front of one. I wanted to say, I wasn't sure how much you were joking, but if the picture really upsets you, let me know and I'll stick a link to it or something instead of having it right there. I do know someone who hates spiders so much she wouldn't come to my blog if there was a picture of one there.

I hate losing my keys, too. And it's mean of the secretary to be snarky about it.

When my car once broke down in the middle of nowhere and had to be towed to the nearest town and left with the mechanic there (100 miles from my city), I was so upset and stressed I just left my entire keyring in the car rather than just the car key. I didn't realise until I got all the way back home. It took the mechanic a week to post the keys back even after I called her. Which meant for a week I had to get the secretary to open my office door for me every day, and to access the student papers they had just all submitted into my locked box in the hallway, I had to dangle a piece of string with sticky tape on the end through the slit and fish them out one by one!

It's funny when I look back on it, but it was NOT at the time.

Hopefully your day will be something to laugh about, in a few hundred years when you look back on it :)

Meanwhile, take a long hot bubble bath and treat yourself to a nice dinner.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

ick! I'm sorry you're having such a horrible day. I hope it improves.
You should submit your post at Phantom's wednesday whining - you might at least get a prize.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

oh no oh no!!!

I agree, submit this entire post at Phantom's.

I'm really sorry about this day, Shrinky. Even half of that stuff would set me over the edge. :( Hang in there. I hope the evening is better.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Man, when it rains it pours. Big hugs to you!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

Oh no. Hope things get better soon!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home