.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

2.10.2006

Why shrinky hates getting her hair cut...

1. Very short bangs.
I hate it when I get my hair trimmed because my bangs get cut way too short and I feel like a moonface. I hate it. I have very negative associations with extremely short bangs due to a mean girl in elementary school who always had microbangs. Yuck.

2. Mirrors and wet hair.
I hate sitting there and having to look at myself in the mirror (under extremely unflattering lighting). I look more hideous than normal and it makes me feel really horribly.

3. Culture of hair salons.
They are often "hipper than thou" and so focused on appearance, obviously. I always feel old, fat, and ugly when I go.

4. makeover shows.
They make you think that once you get a haircut, you will all of a sudden look just stunningly gorgeous upon the reveal. Once my hair is cut and dried, I never look like I had a makeover. I look just as ugly, if not uglier, than before.

5. Conversing.
"Are you *still* a student?" Nuff said.

6. Wet hair.
I always have to leave with wet hair at this salon. They never seem to leave enough time to dry it fully, or (like this time) they tell me that to dry it fully would cause my hair to frizz. Well, what do you think going outside will do? Yup, frizz city.

7. I'm paying for this?
This time I tried to show up just on time, as my stylist always has me change into the gown thingy while I wait for her. No one else is waiting in the robes, just me. I hate it so fricking much. It's cold and vulnerable, and I feel like an ass amidst all these stylish beautiful people. Then this time, one of the assistants came up to me and told me my stylist wanted to talk to me. I had to go walk over to her and while she was still working on previous client's hair, she asked me if I was just there for a trim. Then, I got whisked off for a shampoo. There was no time to actually sit and show her what is working or not with my hair, as it's hard to do when your hair is wet.

8. They always cut more than an inch.
My hair is really short. It no longer reaches my bra strap.

9. Figuring out how much to tip.
Hate it.

5 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger wolfa said...

1. No more bangs! (I have curly hair. I am anti-bang.)
2. Bring a book. Even when you talk, you can be looking down.
3. I go to my grandmother's salon and am usually the youngest person there.
4. Yick.
5. See 2.
6. I'm sorry, my hair is still wet. Please dry it before I leave. Yes, I realise drying it will frizz it, but I'm afraid I cannot go out with wet hair. Do not get out of the chair until the hair is dry, but do it super pleasantly.
7. Put the gown on over your shirt? I always do that.
8. Before the cut: I really only want you to cut X amount. Of course as you're a good stylist, you would never cut more than I asked, but I've had that problem elsewhere, so I like to make it clear in advance.

I might try a new salon if I were you.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

My hair is very thick and I had a string of stylists who wouldn't dry it all the way. They didn't make up excuses, it was just like they were tired of drying. I go to the salon so that for one day my hair gets fully dried by someone that isn't me! Once I found someone that will dry it without complaining, I stuck with her. She also doesn't force me into conversation. yay.

I also hate the whole looking at myself in the mirror thing, so I just use the mirror to watch other people on the other side of the salon.

 
At 2:38 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Dammit, Shrinky, you scooped me. I got my hair cut a couple of days ago, and was planning a post about how much I hate going to the hairdresser's, but you got there first.

I hate it because my hairdresser treats me like a moron, tries to sell me products I don't need and NEVER cuts my hair to my specifications, although because what she does choose to do always ends up looking good anyhow, I keep on coming back.

I also can't find another one that is so convenient and well-priced, unfortunately (this one is on campus and has half-price cuts for students).

Sigh.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

wolfa: once my glasses are off (which they need to be for a haricut) I can't see to read. I can only see my moonface :) Every salon I have gone to is some version of horrible. I solve it by only going once or twice a year.

simba's mom: your kitty is soooo cute! I'm glad you feel my pain :) I don't want to switch because every other stylist wants to either thin my hair or make it super layered. ugh.

styleygeek: I'm lucky this one never tries to sell me anything. But every other stylist I've gone to tries to convince me I am using subpar products for my hair. They scrunch their noses with suck disdain, I feel like such a loser. What they don't understand is that I have nutso hair, irrespective of conditioning products.

Sorry you don't have other options. It's good at least the cuts are good, but it sucks they aren't what you want.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

Shrinky, I'm the same way--I can't see anything once my glasses are off. So it also frustrates me when they keep asking me how things look, even after I tell them that I can't see a thing w/o my glasses. Also, I think my stylist parted my hair in the wrong place yesterday...but I couldn't tell for sure.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home