.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

8.15.2006

Hear ye, hear ye ...

Two announcements for the students of grad (and those who love them, or love to hate them, or hate to love them ...):

1. The wonderful and talented styleygeek (who also has incredible hair) has posted the Carnival of GRADual Progress ... aka the first grad student-centric carnival. Go! Read! Weep! Laugh! Cry! See god!

2. A wee but wonderful group of us grad student bloggers have been using each other as a support group for goals (or sometimes we support less and urge, kick in the asses, push more). We wanted to open the group up again for new members. We prefer it to remain for grad students only at this time (but we really encourage our beloved faculty friends to start their own group - we've found it super helpful!!!) as it helps us to keep focused on theses, dissertations, etc. I personally find that it is a good fit for people who find it hard to get/keep motivated due to depression, major obstacles, life, lack of support, etc. That is, due to my own insecurities, grad students who have NIH grant funding for life and 37 pubs already may want to form their own group :).

If you are interested, email me!

edited to add: due to so much interest, the group is now full. If you are still interested, we can put you on a waiting list :)

3 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Thanks for the link.

If you ever see my hair in real life, you are going to be so disappointed.

And, dammit, you made me realise that I should have included something about the support group in the grad carnival post. I'll put something up tonight and make the most of my temporary horde of new readers.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

Shrinky, I'd be interested in joining the grad support group...sorry for not emailing but it's a pain to switch between my top-secret gmail identities. :) Can I join y'all? Even if I tend to be really really quiet on groups like this? I *totally* don't have funding for life OR 37 pubs...

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Bella Sultane said...

Hi, I'd love to join the group! I'm definitely not a super-star academic (w/ an excess of funding, pubs, etc.). The group sounds like it would be really helpful.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home