.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

9.10.2006

My advice for microsoft

please create an idiot module into which, every time I find a typo, I can catalog all of my stupid errors and the program can check every document for my most common typos. The ones that are the huge problems are the ones it still considers words. For example, "ahs" instead of "has." I do it all the time. Or my favorite, "tot heir" instead of "to their." If you always mess up apostrophes (because undergrads' misues of them is contagious - not because *we* make mistakes), you could have it always check to make sure you didn't do "it's" instead of "its." I know you can do find and replace - but this would be a huge (potentially) database of words it would check every time.

Wouldn't that be super.

And yes, I am damned glad I caught that I typed "ahs" instead of "has" in my proposal just moments before I printed the final version.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger luckybuzz said...

I have standard typos I *always* make, too. And while it's not quite as nice as what you're suggesting, the auto-correct function can help with those--especially things like typing "tot heirs". You can just tell it to always change that to "to theirs" and you're golden. (I use it to fix my endless "gropus" to the more work-friendly "groups").

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I don't know about microsoft, but open office does have that, under "autocorrect" > "replace". It already includes a whole lot of common ones and you can delete ones you don't want it fixing, and add new ones that you do.

Also, if you use Linux, there's a pretty cool application that looks similar (but even better because it checks for cliches and bad style too) mentioned here.

Yes. I know I've just violated my self-imposed internet ban. But it's lunchtime!

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Oh, and my worst one is "students". I ALWAYS type "studnets". Which is way cooler, anyway.

Second worst (esp for a linguist): "language" always becomes "langauge" or "langague".

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

As Luckybuzz points out, Microsoft does have this functionality. You can edit autocorrect to add in errors that you're prone to making. Just go to Tools > Autocorrect Options, and you can add things.

My favorite error is adding an "n" after the word "ratio". I do it every time!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home