.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

9.03.2006

Why do moms never learn this...

When you send an angry email to your child in which you address it to their full name and sign it with your full name (as opposed to "mom"), and ask whether or not they "planned" to do something that was already to have been done - that you are:
a. not likely to get a response quickly as your child can tell you are angry and it doesn't make them feel good.
b. not likely to elicit the behavior you want.
c. likely to make them feel nagged and haragued and thus unlikely to do the behavior on your (insane) timeline.
d. make your child feel like you don't have an appreciation of their deadlines and stresses.

1 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger RLT said...

In my family, it seems to be because having kids unhinges us a bit. I can tell you this from experience because I both have a crazy mom and I have to admit to being, on occasion, a little bit of a crazy mom - but also a bit of a crazy daughter sometimes, too. And I even have a daughter who should admit to both of these, as well. Although perhaps I shouldn't be quite so free with the term "crazy" when speaking to someone named shrinkykitten...ummm, let's move on, shall we?

From my observations, it seems to be somewhat worse where daughters are concerned. Mother/daughter relationships can be extremely complicated (Notice Rebecca stating the obvious with a vengeance here.) Those female hormones are something truly fierce, methinks. Still, I am very sorry you are being upset by your mom. I really do feel your pain...often.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home