.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

10.11.2006

200 eyes for an eye

On the news they announced a new study that indicates that 600,000 Iraqis have died in the war thus far. If 3,000 people died on 9.11, that means 200 Iraquis (plus some afghanis) have died to avenge those deaths (if we buy the argument that this was even about 9.11). How many more do we require President Bush? How many more people need to die before you feel like it was worth it?

I will blog on this more later - but right now I am reading the book versin of the first year of the blog Baghdad Burning. It is a rough way to start each day (reading it on the train, that is), but I think it is good. I will write about this soon - and also some reactions to a book I just finished, Jesus Land.

I watched part of the British version of "The office" this weekend. My theory is that it is kind of like Christopher Guest films; whichever you see first is your favorite (Waiting for Guffman). I like the British version (and adore Tim - he's adorable) and I really like how much they all look like normal people (not as compared to the American versioon so much - more compared to just about everything else we see in American tv and film). But, I love the american version of the office.

I also saw Thank you for smoking over the weekend. What a great film, and how nice to see Katie Holmes when she was still a human (and not a cruiseoid).

Other things I am loving/liking lately on tv:
How I met your mother
The Office
Veronica Mars
Project Runway
Lost !!!

Things I am hating (and not watching anymore):
Desperate Housewives
Grey's Anatomy
Brothers & Sisters
Gilmore Girls (still better than much tv, but it is a huge disappointment of late; I've never liked their relationships with men - and I think Rory's acting has become painful*)

Undecided:
Ugly Betty
America's next top model
Jericho

*Kelly Bishop - Lorelei's mom - was in the NYT the otehr day. She played cassie in the original Broadway cast of A Chorus Line. Oh how I wish that were on film! I'd love to see her in that role.
Nine

2 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

Let me offer my opinions on your tv thoughts, shrinky-dinky.

I approve of your love/likes!
Lost is actually getting good again, at least in that it's interesting and making some sense. However, I remain sceptical that they will answer a bunch of their old questions and mysteries from season one, which will really piss me off.
Veronica Mars - Can't help but love it, but I'm not feeling the Keith storyline. I don't like the glitzed up intro. It feels too shmaltzy and not edgy enough. I'm not wild about the new characters yet either.

Gilmore Girls - I completely agree. I think this will be the last season of it. Rory's character has outgrown Alexis Bledel, and the whole Gilmore dialogue thing is becoming a bit forced. Can't stand the way they always make Rory a doormat for men too.

Jericho - Don't bother with this stinker. I predict it will not last through midseason.
Ugly Betty - I came away from a 15 minute viewing of it with the impression that they are actually making fun of ugly people instead of saying that looks don't matter. They made her "ugly", gave her crap social skills, and she isn't even that smart compared to the other characters and extras. Biggest strike against the show though? It's not that funny to me. Lots of people seem to be watching it though, so maybe I'm missing something.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Arbitrista (formerly Publius) said...

Brazen and I have started watching Scrubs re-runs, and continued our My Name Is Earl and Gilmore Girls habits. I actually think this season of GG is okay. It's not nearly as morbid as last season.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home