.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

11.20.2006

42 steps from my apartment...

a rape occurred the other night. There are a few reasons, besodes proximity, why this is striking to me.

First, it happened at night - the woman was walking home from the train, and was attacked. (Stranger rape. The easiest rape to report, prosecute, and the one people are less likely to blame you for and to believe you about, but I digress). It was after modnight when this occurred, and oddly enough at just about that time, I awoke with a bad case of insomnia. Weird. I keep thinking that maybe I could have helped her - had I only heard something.

Second, this is the first time I have seen a rape in my neighborhood get media attention. I wonder - is this because of some unusual aspects of the rape? Because rape is so rare in this area? Because it happened to a white woman? I hope it is because it is super rare here. Although other types of crime are somewhat frequent. I know many women from my neighborhood are being interviewed on the news about how shaken they are, and how angry they are that it took a few days to hit the media.

Everytime I pass by the spot, I wish the woman well - I hope that she is okay.

5 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Blogger Dr. Lisa said...

Me, too. Do take care of yourself, too, shrinky. Very upsetting.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Wow, scary stuff.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

This is very disturbing, but literally right after I read this post, I checked out Gothamist to find out that on Sunday, someone was raped under very similar circumstances 42 steps from my apartment too. And I live in quite possibly the most heavily trafficked-at-night neighborhood in New York.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger betty said...

very scary. i read somewhere that about a study that said if something bad is happening, like a rape or a mugging, that it's more likely to be reported by a bystander if only one or two people witness the incident. a victim is less likely to be helped by a bystander in a crowded area presumably because everyone thinks someone else will call 911. in the case where there is only one witness that person knows they have a major responsibliy to get help. v. interesting.

stay safe!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

How scary!!! Take care of yourself and stay safe.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home