.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

11.10.2006

Dear Iraqi people,

I am so sorry. I watched "Control Room" today, and cried through most of it. Whenever I watch footage of what we have done/are doing over there, I cry and say in my head over and over, "I am so sorry." On the national news tonight, they showed the psychological effects of the war on people. They profiled a little boy of 12 or so who found the headless body of his father. The boy is too depressed and traumatized to play with the other kids or go to war. It looks like he alternates between being almost catatonic or crying and remembering. No child should have to go through this - and I hate that we are doing this to them. No adult should have to go through this either - but at least they have some memory of what life could be like without war. Kids likely cannot remember, or will have trouble remembering what a life without war is like, and that saddens me tremendously.

I hope that this new change in the government has a positive ripple effect for you. I hope so, but I'm dubious, as you-know-who is still ultimately in charge (although if you go to the msnbc poll about whether or not people think Bush should be impeached - so far 80 some-odd percent of people polled said yes). So far I am heartened - and think they will help us re-focus on ourselves and will work to allow you to get your lives back. Although I fear we have screwed things up so much over there that that may be an impossibility.

One of the reporters from Al Jazeera said in the documentary something about having no faith in the US government, but that he had complete faith in the American people. I wish I shared that. I would really like to have that faith in us too. And I would like perhaps even more for us to show faith in you.

shrinky

p.s. How awesome was Josh Rushing in that film? I was so impressed by the changes he exhibited over the course of the film, and found him adorable. I was also exceptionally impressed by the thoughtfulness of the staff at Al Jazeera, and how balanced and intelligent they were. That ought not be so surprising - but we've just been so taught to see the network as being vitriolic and hate-filled - but I was impressed.

2 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Dr. Lisa said...

Amen.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Read the current (November/December 06) "Foreign Affiars" article by Colin Kahl for a different perspective on the ethical behavior of our troops.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home