.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

11.18.2006

I was actually semi-assertive today...

first incident: I was getting my pseudoephedrine at the drugstore pharmacy. I hate having to purchase it in the pharmacy - it is a hassle, and I often do not get treated well, and end up feeling like I am doing something criminal by buying it. Yet, when I have sinus headaches or bad allergies - nothing else works. So the pharmacy chick asked me what I needed, and I told her i needed a box of pseudoephedrine. She said from 10 feet away, "You need state ID to buy it." I said I knew that. She went to get a box, looked at me again and said, "I need to see your id." I said I would get it, but that I had actually also wanted to ask a question (the tags for the higher dosage of pseudoephedrine seemed to be out, so I wanted to see if they had anymore in the back). She then got a little nicer. I said to her that it was hard enough having to purchase over-the-counter allergy medications from a pharmacist with these new restrictions, it really didn't help feeling as though I was being treated like a criminal. I said some other stuff too to sort of try to sensitize her to how annoying and frustrating (and at times humiliating) this process is. She then just stopped speaking to me. Whatever. I think pharmacists lately have too much power and not enough sensitivity - and by this I am referring to their refusing to sell plan Bs and other things.

second incident: I was coming out of urban outfitters (there's a necklace i want, but don't want to pay shipping). Two teenagers got into the revolving door thing before me and made it go super fast. I didn't quite move fast enough, and my heel got caught in the door. I pulled it out, but it hurt like hell. When I came out, I yelled, "Ouch!" I wanted to yell more - and likely should have as the asshat just mumbled sorry and walked away. As it turns out, I may have gotten injured as I was in excruciating pain a few moments later.

weird incident: I went to a craft fair today. On the way there I got a little worried i might run into a client or two (has happened) or my ex-best friend (as we used to go to it together). As it turned out, I ran into one of my plagiarizing students, and my ex-best friend's husband. The latter was so awkward as I have NO idea why my ex-best friend is no longer my friend - she just stoppped speaking to me very abruptly and was quite specious when I inquired as to what was up ("Oh, I'm just really busy!"). So in my brief and awkward interaction with him I was so worried as to what she said to him about me.

nice thing: a newish urban outfitters opened up in the neighborhood next to mine, and I'd not been yet. When I went, I was so thrilled to see that there were no teenyboppers working there or shopping there, that the staff didn't act "hipper-than-thou" (in fact they ended up doing some dance to a song that came on, and looked totally dorky), and that there were people my age shopping there! So awesome.

sucky thing: a goal of my shopping trip today was to get myself an early birthday present, but I couldn't find anything. :( I did, however, find a george w. bush chew toy at the craft fair!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home