.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

11.05.2006

Think blue!

I have to say, I am extremely not appreciative of the President saying such rude things about democrats as he stumps for republicans. I understand he is trying to get his party elected - but I think the President should really really be working to try to get the parties to come together - not to further divide them. Of course, there is little the President does that I respect or appreciate, but his words against democrats I find particularly offensive.

I watched "Why we fight" last weekend, and highly recommend it (it's a documentary on dvd). I was ready to move to Canada after watching it (any Canadians need a roommate?). I admit to a huge dearth of knowledge about Sadam Hussein - but from the film, it looks like he was a US puppet, originally - we put him there. And now we are executing him? Ridiculous.

I wish that we had more than two parties - I hate that any one party can get control (okay, I don't hate it so much when democrats have control - but I do hate how very moderate they have to become to get control). I wish we had more parties so that no one party could dominate. I'm sick - absolutely sick - of feeling like my government doesn't reflect my interests. I'm sick of feeling like my voice, my vote, my values, don't count. I'm sick of having to live in a country where our major actions in the world are abhorrent to me, and where those in other countries assume we are all Bush and war supporters. I'm glad that finally it is okay to say I hate Bush and that I don't support the war - as more than 50% of the country finally agrees with me. But, I'm also sick of living in a country that supposedly values freedom of speech and a free press, and yet there are subtle and not-so-subtle pressures to keep your mouth shut - and it is rare that we get the truth in our disneyfied news media.

Here's something I'm not sick of: thrift shopping. Yesterday I found an Agnes B scarf - with the price tag still on it - for $3.00. It is cool because it is shiny bronze with ruffles. Awesome. I also found a handmade a-line brocade skirt in a groovy bronze-loden color with turquoise and hot pink flowers all over it (it is not subtle, but more subtle than it sounds).

4 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of seeming to ignore the much more important political part of your post and focus on the trivia:

It is cool because it is shiny bronze with ruffles. Awesome. I also found a handmade a-line brocade skirt in a groovy bronze-loden color with turquoise and hot pink flowers all over it

Post photos!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

I agree. I'm tired of feeling embarrassed to be American.

Don't idealize Canada too much. They just elected a Bush wannabe from Alberta ("The Texas of Canada").

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Styley- I'll try to post pics!

sheepers: but at least Canada isn't "too busy" to do anything about N. Korea, and still chooses to do nothing. :)

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger sheepish said...

Actually, shrinkilicious, I just read a throw away sentence in Newsweek in an article on N. Korea about western countries (Canada, Germany, Italy, and some others) selling N. Korea equipment for their nuclear weapons program. I've been trying to find sources for that, but haven't come up with much yet. If that's true, it may be the case that Canada was able to make some time... to help North Korea build a bomb.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home