.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

12.11.2006

Last chance for postcards!

Email me if you want one from my trip - include your name and addy, and I'll send one from my top secret locale.

Thank you all for your support. I am not ready to talk about exactly what happened ... maybe when I get back. I have been frantically trying to find a therapist - and keep getting dead ends. I talked to one on the phone tonight who kept needling me to get info as to why I was seeking therapy, and kept wanting details ... and I kind of lost it and told her I didn't even know her, that I couldn't talk about the details because I have to pack and grade papers, and see family ... I can't open up what I am working hard to keep contained right now. She seemed offended. At one point in the call, she asked where I was emotionally (since I refused to tell her why I got kicked out of my program) and I said I felt like my life was over (not being dramatic here). She said, "So it sounds like you don't know what to do and you don't even know whether or not to stay in this city." WTF?!? My patience for bad paraphrases and a lack of good empathy is minimal when I am under stress.

Speaking of stress...so tomorrow I am going to my grandfather's house for his 90th birthday. My aunt and two uncles will be there, as will my mom and a few other random step-relatives. One uncle (who lives just a couple of hours away) has deemed the whole thing will fail miserably and is refusing to come. My aunt who lives in a tropical paradise (mayhaps the one ianqui just went to?) won't be there either.

However, my uncle with whom I have had a rather uncomfortable relationship since jr high will be there. Yahoo!

Apparently, he told my mother that he had wanted only ONE pice of jewelery that had belonged to my gradnmother who died a couple of years ago. Guess who has that one piece of jewelry? Me. It's the only piece of hers I got, and now I have to give it to me. Bastard.

Here's the backstory on why I dislike him, and why I am not looking forward to seeing him.

When I was in jr high, he was dating a woman who had a cousin who was about my age (maybe a little older). We were pen pals, and I invited her to my gradnparents' house one summer. While we were there, she disclosed to me that she had had an extensive drug use/abuse history (including injection drugs). I knew nothing about drugs! I was a kid, and this was the early 80s - kids didn't know about stuff like that back then. So, I told my grandmother, who told my uncle. A month or so later, my uncle called me on the phone (he was in his 20s or 30s at this point) and YELLED at me for lying about his girlfriend's cousin, and for "tattling" on her. Remember, I was just in jr high - what else was I to do?

The woman my uncle was dating, and eventually married, was his high school gym teacher (and I think she is 10-20 years older than him, yuck). So, they ended up getting divorced and at some point it came out that he had been having an affair with his wife's cousin - the girl who was MY age! And not only that, the affair began back before he nad his ex-wife were married. They were having an "affair" when she was like 13-14 - and he was in his 20s or 30s. He molested her!!!

And guess what? Now they are married, and they will both be there. Lovely. It totally makes me want to throw up.

7 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. That story about your uncle makes me shudder.

And you really shouldn't have to give him the one piece of jewelry you got from your grandmother. That is outrageous.

It is so unfair that you have to deal with all this on top of everything else you are going through right now.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Ianqui said...

Family crap on top of job crap...I'm sorry that this is not a good time for you. I really hope you're able to find a therapist soon. In the meantime, at least maybe you can have a great time on your trip!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger wolfa said...

Don't give him the jewelry. Seriously, say you're very sorry, but it's meaningful to you as well, and it's the only piece you have from her, it's really too bad he didn't bring it up then.

I'm so sorry you need to deal with all of this.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Especially if your grandmother gave it to you, you shouldn't give it to him... I'd be creeped out by an older uncle who was messing with someone my age. It sounds like you'd better play nice and dumb to survive the weekend.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous ppb said...

I didn't mean to push you on the story. It doesn't matter.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Ick. I would rather lie and say I'd lost the jewellery than give it to him, I think. I hope you can avoid him and have a good trip.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger sheepish said...

What an awful story. I hope the beautiful setting at least brings you some peace.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home