.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

12.28.2006

Withdraw? Dismissed?

I just got an email from my advisor telling me I should write a letter of withdrawal/resignation from the program so that on my transcript it says I withdrew rather than that I was dismissed. I guess I should call my union because although that sounds good, I wonder if it would close the door to my contesting this.

Oddly, an email was sent out today that the mother of one of the students who was kicked out the program in the spring just died. The email said that the student had "left" the program this year. Interesting phrasing.

edited to add: I just realized, thanks to all of your comments, why they want me to withdraw. They are kicking out a lot of students. If the APA or university gets wind of that, it will look bad (and likely interfere with accreditation). Thus they convince students to withdraw, as that looks better (still, I would think that wouldn't look super good).

I called my union - but I'm betting they are out for the holidays. Damn.

7 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger PPB said...

call the union. something is not right here.

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd check it out. Maybe she just thinks it would look better on your transcript, but it also makes it look better for them.

And the more sinister possibility is that maybe they don't actually have enough reason to kick you out and this is the only way they can make it happen.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I agree -- call the union. The thing is that I'm not sure ANYTHNG would happen on your transcript if you were "dismissed" -- wouldn't it be the case that there were simply no more entries?

They probably phrased the other person's dismissal as "left" in order to protect her privacy.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would call your union. If I had union protection, believe me, I would be fighting my dismissal.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger PPB said...

Okay. Call all the others. Get together. Go to the dean or somebody way up high. You have power here. Negotiate. Happened here. They got together. They won.

Be brave.
You have power.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you called the union! There's clearly something going on here and you're right to fight it.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are fantastically brave. Reaching out is so smart.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home