.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

12.11.2006

You say crass; I say evil genius.

I decided to show up wearing the necklace (see post below if you are confused) and make my Uncle ask for it off of my neck. Ha ha ha ha.

The weird thing about this is that (I learned this tonight) - he doesn't know I have it. He doesn't know *who* has it. He just mentioned to my mom that he wanted it. And, given that she is who she is, she told me he wanted it, but doesn't want me to give it to him.

but, being that I am on this big integrity 'n' shit thing right now, I will give it to him. However, I know that that means he will give it to his wife (see below for why that would upset me). I mentioned to my mom that that would bother me. She said, "You have to get over your grudge against her." (huh?). I said it just bothered me that someone who wasn't really a member of the family would get my grandmother's necklace. She said, "well, we're not really a part of the family either." Ouch.

Because in reality, my grandmother is my step-grandmother. But for my whole life, she was my grandma. And I was her first and only grandchild for a long time.

6 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

And I'd say that you were her grandchild and that you deserve the necklace more than your uncle's wife does.

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say evil genius too :) That is a great plan.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and if he is at all subtle when he mentions it, and doesn't ask you straight out to give it to him, take the chance to say how much it means to you and how it is the only thing you have to remind you of your grandmother.

Then he is going to feel really rotten and look bad if he asks you for it.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

Shrinky, how did you get it in the first place? Did someone decide at some point to give it to you? Because I think that step-granddaughter is at least equal and maybe more important than (second) daughter-in-law, and I don't really see why he has more right to it than you do.

I have to say that I wouldn't feel so compelled by his mere request to return it to him, and I also wouldn't feel compelled to let him know that you're the person who has it. He's not exactly someone with integrity himself, so I don't see why you can't just play at his level.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous ppb said...

Can you cry on command? Or mist up at least? I think that's always good for bonus points!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I'd make him ask, act shocked and then tell him you have to think about it. In the end, say grandma wanted you to have it and that, at a minimum, you'd like some other things to remind you of her -- photos, other momentos, china or whatever you'd like.

I'd also tell him that you'd really rather it be a loan to her, and if she leaves the family , you get the necklace back... she'll probably just pawn it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home