.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.04.2007

Cautiously optimistic

I talked with the head of my union the other day, and the news wasn't exactly good. He thinks that a grievance would be a bad idea as it is "earth scorching" - as in, I would ruin all relationships even if I prevailed. I kind of had that hunch. He also thought the grad college would do nothing as they don't like to interfere with advisors' relationships with students. He did note, however, that he wanted to look into the idea that there might be some sex-based discrimination, and wanted to talk confidentially to some others. If nothing else, even if it doesn't benefit me directly, I do think that is a good thing to occur so this doesn't keep happening to women students.

So, that's not where my cautious optimism comes in ... here it is. I finally applied for a job yesterday (the one I had whined about that had no deadline). Apparently it hasn't been filled yet (not the best sign - but it is an awkward time of year for job seeking), and I was invited for an interview!

I have some worries about the job: in some ways, I am super duper qualified for it, and in others I'm not completely. I'm hoping those balance out. I also have some unique skills and qualifications that I am hoping tip the scales in my favor. I'm worried about the location. The job is in two places: one is a poor and violent part of the city. I worry about this most due to my taking public transport. If I drove (I don't even have a license, much less a car, so this is unlikely to change), I'd be less worried about getting around there (particularly at night). The other location (it's not clear how much time is spent at each location yet) would require me to take a train and a bus - which is just annoying.

I'm also worried about what to wear to the interview. It's a social service organization - but I don't want to presume that casual attire is okay (I don't really dress casually anyway). I think my goal will be funky yet classic/simple.

[Oh weird - on the news they just profiled a bigwig from my school who just had a big health issue. Apparently, however, he is getting treatment at a DIFFERENT medical school! Oh that inspires trust.]

If this job seems like a good match, and if I like the people - I think I would be happy enough there that the dismissal from my program won't affect me so much. This job would allow me to be a shrink in a great organization doing really good work. It also looks like the benefits are good and the pay is not good compared to for-profit jobs, but to me, it seems like a hige amount.

I can't get my hopes up too high, however.

5 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Anonymous ppb said...

You didn't ask, but I'm a career counselor, so: wear something one or two steps up from what people wear to work. One if you're middle aged, two if you're young (or look really young). For a social service agency that might vary. If it's a T-shirts and jeans kind of place, you might do okay with skirt or pants and sweater, but if it's a skirt and sweater kind of place, you might need to up it to an un-matched suit.

Best of luck to you. Don't stress out about the details about location until you have an offer. Once you get one, then ask when you're in each neighborhood, explain that without a car, you wouldn't want to be in crummy neighborhood in the late afternoon, etc. etc.I bet it works out!

I'm so excited for you!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Congratulations on getting the application done and getting an interview! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is exciting! Good luck for the interview!

Maybe you'll find someone else who works there and lives near you or on the same bus/train-line and you could travel in together sometimes...

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, shrinky!!

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! It took me ages to get an interview.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home