.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.11.2007

Editing services

I may be taking on a job doing some editing on grants and publications. They want me to give them an hourly rate. Has anyone done this or know what going rates are?

One thing that sucks about the job is that they actually want me to work THERE, and I had hoped it coul dbe a work-from-home kind of thing. Oh well, I need the money.

4 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Twirly said...

I have no idea what the going rate is, however like $20-25 an hour I think is like the equivalent of $50,000 a year if it was a full time 40 hour a week job....so maybe go from there - if you can figure out what editors make annually usually

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a parttime job in Germany editing publications. The university paid me 25 Euro an hour. I'm not sure what that is in US dollars, or whether payment in the USA is generally higher or lower than in Europe.

Styleygeek. (Who is commenting from an airport and can't log in.)

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Limon de Campo said...

I would say a going freelance rate for writing services is around $75 to $100 an hour, but editing jobs usually pay quite a bit less, especially if it's for a nonprofit. Still, good editing is a lot of work. I'd start high.

 
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with Limon de Campo. Bid high. Freelancers have to charge a lot because (a) they rarely actually work 40 billable hours in a week and (b) they have to buy their own health insurance. A good client will expect higher rates. Clients who want to pay less aren't always worth your time.

That's been my experience, at least!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home