.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.11.2007

How much allegiance am I expected to have?

The prof of the class I took last semester has emailed me twice since I got kicked out. Now, she was one of the first people I told because I thought she could be helpful in finding a job (her area and mine are similar - and she should have good connections with social service agencies in my line of work). At the time that I told her, she said that that was "too bad" or something else similarly pithy (I think given that she was so enthusiastic about my final paper and about publishing it, and because she knows I know a TON about the research in our shared area, she might be a bit more shocked or supportive).

She has now emailed me twice asking ME to help HER. The first email was to ask for a copy of the syllabus of the class I teach most often, and the second to ask about my ta'ing experiences with the class from hell.

I know I will end up helping her, but it makes me grouchy. It will also require not an insignificant amount of time on my part to help her.

I'm feeling a little used. And, I frankly don't really feel like I owe the department anything.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger PPB said...

To answer your question--none.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I don't think you have any responsibilies... although, if you need her recommendation I'm not sure you have a choice about helping.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger nominis umbra said...

Maybe you can just ignore her email...and if she contacts you in the future, you can apologize and tell her that you were really busy finding employment ( ... passive agressive? yes. but I'd say the situation calls for it)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger nominis umbra said...

ps-- I'm sorry to hear that you lost funding...I know that the last minute job search sucks ...tremendously.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home