.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.09.2007

I shaved my armpits for this?

I had my interview yesterday. I'm not sure it went super well, but I have no idea how they responded to me. I hate that in interviews, and it seems to happen a lot with shrinks. Perhaps they are so used to being blank screens, they continue being so even in interviews. It's hard to interview with someone who isn't giving anything back to you, interactionwise.

I was interviewed by three people - one of whom seemed to be bored by the whole thing. She was often looking off at other things, or yawning(!).

One huge problem I have in interviews (and any public speaking occasion) is that my mouth goes instantly super duper dry. It was so bad yesterday, I felt like I couldn't even move my mouth. It was also so dry, I could hear when my mouth moved (you know that sound when someone's mouth is super duper dry). At least when I am teaching or giving a talk, I can drink water - but unless someone offers me water in an interview, it doesn't really seem appropriate.

I'm worried they may not think I am completely qualified for the job. And in some ways that's true (and I worry I brought that up too much) - but I think the job would offer challenges that would be a good match for areas I want to develop - and that I think I could develop. I simply haven't had the opportunity to do some of the things that job requires.

One problem I had too, about which I feel pretty badly, is that I think I stretched the truth a bit. In my resume and in my cover letter, I was completely honest about my skills and experiences. Thus, I was somewhat surprised to have gotten a call for an interview, as I didn't completely match what they were looking for. But, in person, I overstated some of my experiences because I felt like I had to look better. I never lied, but I did indicate that I had some more experience with some things than I actually had (like saying that something that I actually did only for a month, I did for a few months).

Is that horribl? Or does everyone do that in interviews?

2 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone does that in interviews! :) Good luck, I hope you get it.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I think everyone does it in interviews. It would be worse to play down your talents and skills, I think.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home