.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.06.2007

Wow.

I just got this email from the editor for the section in which my paper is to appear:

"Thank you for such a wonderful paper-- so on the mark in every way. I am
certain that our readers will greatly appreciate (as I do) your thoughtful
work. I have no corrections, or suggestions for
improvement, and will send it on in its present terrific state."

And then she asked if I'd be willing to do more! If only I could get paid for it ... How do I get a job as a psych writer? I was thinking about that today - I'd love to do some freelance psych writing for magazines/newspapers. How would one go about that?

I also noticed today that bookslut is looking for a review in the area of feminism/gender. Does anyone know if they pay? I guess it'd be good just for the books (I'm assuming you'd at least get free books ...). Though, I do often find feminist scholarship (outside of psych) a bit too dense (as in hard to read) for my tastes. (which strikes me as odd as it makes it inaccessible, which seems awfully anti-feminist to me - though I also know there is likely some intent to ensure that feminist scholarship is intellectual and thus more respected).

On the less good news front - I got an email inviting me for an interview on MONDAY! Monday! I didn't get this until late today, so there was no time for me to write back before she left for the day. The issue is that they have all this stuff they want me to bring with me, and it doesn't leave me much time to do so. I have to fill out an application, I have to write a statement on a specific topic (eek), and I have to provide 4 references. Four! This latter thing worries me tremendously. Because I have been kicked out, this dampens some peoples' opinions of me, and may deleteriously affect what they would say about me (one person said as much). I just wish I had more time to contact and talk to people.

Also, one of the documents she sent to me is password protected - so I can't open it.

oh no, beautiful nrrrdboy is having sex again.

for your amusement from cuteoverload.com



also go here

4 Comments:

At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the paper! You deserve it.

I have no idea about how to go about getting a job writing psych for magazines and so on, but maybe you could try writing a few articles on the sorts of topics that you think might appeal and then approaching some mags or newspapers with that as a 'portfolio'. If you can just get your foot in the door with one place, others might follow...

On another track, have you thought about doing book reviews for psych journals? You'd get free academic books that you could then sell on, so make a little bit of money off them. And they'd help make your name well known and get you on some editors' good sides (although it sounds like you've managed that already!)

Good luck for the job interview! I hope you can think of some referees in time.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I'm glad you're getting some well-deserved positive feedback this week :)

Maybe writing for Bookslut could be a way to get a foot in the door with writing. I think in the past they've asked for new columnists without a specific topic in mind, so maybe you could propose a psych angle.

Good luck with the interview!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Twirly said...

Congrats on the paper.

And as for becoming a freelance writer...no idea...but sounds very promising if you can figure it out.

As for references can you reach prior to grad school for the majority of them - then you wouldn't have this stupid issue.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous ppb said...

Do they actually want written references, or just names and numbers?

And yes, reach behind grad school, but also I'm sure there are people who know your clinical work who would still write for you since the problem with grad school was allegedly scholarship---I'm not buying that one, by the way, but if that's the alleged problem, then people should still feel free to comment positively on your other skills. Unless they're jerks.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home