.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

2.11.2007

Why Shrinky needs a job, part 2

I took an old skirt that I bought from The Limited in the 90's and made it into a dress. The skirt (I wish I'd taken a picture of it before I cut it up) was basically a wrap skirt that was ankle length and straight. It was wool with a dark brown and grey plaid. Although I am proud of the dress (sorry for the crappy pics), it is far from perfect. This is due to a combination of personal factors: impatience, lack of sewing skills, poor attention to detail, bad measurement skills, and an inability to do anything (cut, sew, draw, see) in a straight line. It is also due to factors related to the skirt: stretchy material (hard to work with!), limited fabric (thus the skirt isn't quite as full as I might like it to be), and lots of darts (that I tried to work with, but that ended up being problematic in combination with all of the personal factors).

That said, I am still damned prod and plan to wear it, and just hope no one wants to look at it up close!


This picture shows better how I plan to wear it: with a dark grey turtleneck underneath and with my favorite (right now anyway) camel colored boots (by "Candies" bought eons ago). It's blurry because as I was taking it, something fell elsewhere in my house, and I jumped.

This is about as close as anyone should get to the dress, otherwise all the flaws show terribly.

I want to make the same dress out of actual fabric (I have some dark brown chinese brocade I'd like to use) - but I wanted to try it on something I didn't mind ruining first (esp. since i didn't use a pattern, I wanted to get the kinks out first).

My only hesitation at starting the next one is that my inability to cut straight lines is really problematic - so I kind of want to wait until I can afford some tools to help me cut straight (a quilting mat and a rotary cutter - they are awesome).

I used both a sewing machine and sewed by hand for this too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home