.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

2.09.2007

Why Shrinky needs a job...

Either to support this habit of mine, or to channel my energies elsewhere. At least I now have quite the selection of cold weather accoutrements. Next up is to see if I can make a jumper dress out of an old wool wrap around skirt.


This hat was made from a felted (put into washer and dryer a couple times) wool sweater (from the gap). The little flowers are anchored using dark silver metallic embroidery thread. I think it looks like a modernized old flowered bathing cap.


This is a patchwork scarf I made from old felted sweaters (bought at goodwill last xmas). Not super thrilled with it - but it is really warm, and looks better on. The colors (hard to see them) are charcoal grey, rose pink, and pale pink (not really my first choice of color combos, but the selection at the store was limited).

These next two are basically cowl neck scarves. I tried them because I loved this so much, and wanted to try it out of scraps of yarn I had left (the true colors are hard to see here - but they are much richer in person - and extremely textured). The first one was my first attempt (it was as wide as I could get it). I liked it, but ended up thinking a narrower one would be more practical and flattering on me.

So I made this one. It is narrower - but the yarn is cheaper - so I like it a bit less. However, it ended up being super practical for cold weather as it covers the whole neck, and can be pulled up really easily to cover parts of the face! It also works as a muff :)


Here is a book cover I made for Dave Eggers new book because the cover is so fragile.


I made these mittens because I love the idea of being able to keep my train pass in my mittens. They are made out of a felted The Limited cardigan (the sleeves, actually) and are decorated with appliqued flowers made in different shades of purple. I like her original ones much better - but I like that mine are so long - and thus keep my wrists safe.


Another hat I made. This one is crocheted. The pom-poms are made out of this amazing yarn that is composed of all different kinds of materials and textures of red and metallic fibres. hard to explain, and the picture doesn't do it justice.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Ianqui said...

Wow, that's productive! And practical, too. If it were me, I'd probably be baking, and that would only have the end result of making me very fat.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Those are awesome! You could probably make some money selling them, if you wanted to.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Bella Sultane said...

Your stuff looks super-cute. Maybe you could set up an Etsy shop?

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

They are gorgeous! I agree that you should set up an online shop. Or even make some stuff to sell on ebay. Even if you didn't make much out of it on a per-hour basis, it would let you keep making things without having to pay for the materials, and would bring in a little extra income.

I'd totally buy one of your hats.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

cool stuff!!!

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

They're awesome! I can't imagine being that crafty at all. I'd totally buy one of your hats too, if you sold on ebay or an online shop. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home