.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

3.13.2007

Bird in the hand? Or two in the bush?

I am still waiting on a decision from the job. They say they will extend an offer by the end of the week, and that I am still being considered.

Yesterday I was offered a teaching position - but I couldn't take it right away because I am awaiting news on this job, and I lost the opportunity by stalling (teaching = part time, temporary, no benefits; job = full-time, permanent, great benefits).

Today I was offered another teaching position - and I am afraid of not taking it. What if I don't take it *and* don't get the job? On the other hand, what if I take it and DO get the job?

I don't know what to do!

3 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Twirly said...

Try and stall at least one day with the teaching job - but because you are in a crappy situation if you think there is less than a 75% chance you will not get the good job take the teaching job - if they agree to hire you so quickly then they can look for someone else really quickly if you have to then turn it down...however - if you feel like there might be some real burning bridges issues - maybe not - but at this point....It might also make sense to let good job know you have a part time offer you need to let know - maybe that will push them a little....end very long run on paragraph!!

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take the teaching job. If the other one come in by the end of the week then tell the school something came up and it won't work for you after all. It's not going to be the end of the world for the school to call the next person on their list and offer it to them next week. If you wouldn't know until right before the class started then that would be different but I'm guessing this gig is for the upcoming semester so they have a month or so before it starts.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I agree with anonymous.

Or if you really don't feel like you can do that, talk to the teaching job people outright about your situation. Explain that you ideally need a full-time job, and that you would therefore like to wait with your decision until the end of the week when you will hear about a full-time job you have applied for. Tell them straight out that if they absolutely can't wait for your decision that long, that you will take the teaching job now, but you'd rather not have to be pressured like that.

At least that way the teaching people will know you are looking for full-time work, and if something full-time comes up there, they might think of you.

Geekman was in a similar situation when he got the job here. He had applied for one in Canada as well, which would have been both of our first choice, but the job in Australia needed him to make a decision right away. He stalled them for a couple of weeks, but in the end we were scared he'd be left with no job options, so he took it. Good thing, too, since the Canadian people took about six months longer to get back to him.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home