.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

3.10.2007

Fact.

Garbanzo beans (aka chick peas) are the most perfect, and fun, bean there is, with edamame (soy) in a close second.

My mom gave me a teeny tiny slow cooker for xmas (well, someone else gave it to her, so she regifted it). Since receiving it, I have discovered the wonders of making your own beans. I started with black beans (yum!) and then moved onto lentils (who knew lentil soup was so tasty!?) and now have embarked on my garbanzo phase (now I can make hummus!).

I go through weird food phased (I almost typed phood phases) where I eat the same thing over and over and over. Right now, it is doctored soups. I get vegetarian minestrone (progresso) or tomato with rice (campbells) and because I am not a fan of soups with lots of broth, and because I want more veggies and protein - I doctor them with frozen spinach (both soups), frozen mixed veggies (the minestrone) and/or shredded cheese (tomato with rice). On the side, I have target's most tasty multigrain tortillas (have you tried them? I love target for carrying groceries - so cheap - and their arrowhead farms line is yummy). These tortillas are amazing because they have a slight sweetness to them, yet are substantial, and filled with seeds/grains. They are great as quesadillas too.

Stinkerbelle is very grouchy at me at the moment as she really really wants to go to sleep -but I have too much going on in my head to do so. She is not appreciative of a late bedtime at all.

By the way, I started a private community blog over in livejournal - so for those of you who are interested, create an account over there (it's free) and then email me (shrinkykittenatgmaildotcom) your username, and I'll add you.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:31 AM, Blogger Grad007 said...

Hi Shrinky,

I prefer to use dried beans in cooking too. The canned ones come with a lot of salt. My favourites are garbanzo and black beans, but the black ones are unfortunately unavailable where I live now. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home