.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

3.29.2007

Shocking news

Item #1.
Jane Pratt (ex-editor of Jane and of Sassy) revealed recently that she had once had sex with Drew Barrymore. That makes Drew much cooler to me, but Jane, oh Jane. It just seems pathetic that you would disclose this now (apparently quite a bit of time post-sex).

Item #2.
Martha Stewart's pets get to take vacations - not with her. I'm watching Martha Stewart's show right now (I like the crafts), and she announced that one of her dogs can't be on the show today because she is on vacation in Maryland. Vacation? I'm hoping that is just a ephemism for something, and that her dogs really don't get vacations.

Not a news item, but news to me. I watch Top Design rather avidly. It's not a great show, but I love all things design/craft related, and I have been sucked in (even though they don't really even show the design process nor much of the finished products even; I'm hopeful if it gets a second season they will correct this). One thing I find really uspetting about it is that one of the contestants (I always want to say "characters" which may actually be a more accurate term) gets a lot of negative feedback on and off the show, and this upsets me. Why? Because she is young, female, and does not have the "ideal form." Even on the show, some of the other contestants have made fun of her weight behind her back. On sites where the show is discussed (hey, I've been unemployed!), her weight is often criticized as are her fashion choices. Because she is not thin, she apparently ought not wear mini skirts, leggings, fitted tops, etc. I say, wear what you want. I much prefer seeing women of all shapes wearing things that show their shape, rather than hiding it. This goes back to my post in which I exhorted people to just say, "Fuck it, this is what I look like!" Who cares what women's shapes are? This is the shape, so why not dress in a way that is comfortable and fun. Who cares? It's just a body.

So, anyway, the news-related part is that she is still on the show. I don't have cable, so I watch it on itunes after it airs. But, I am too anxious about her getting cut, so I have to read the outcome before I can watch it. She gets criticized for a lot of things - and if typically (on blogging top design) voted as the person who should be cut. Week after week people vote to get her cut (luckily it is not a show where audiences vote!). She is considered to be a "bitch" because she whines when things don't go her way. Who doesn't! Someone once posted that she gets the "bitch edit" (a term I have taken to use quite a bit in real life) meaning that Bravo sees her as someone who can create strong feelings and who improves the drama of the show, so she gets edited to highlight this and to increase people's antipathy towards her.

And I completely identify with her. In one episode, she had to work on a team with two guys who made fun of her, would roll their eyes at her suggestions, would denigrate anything she said - and yet her designs and ideas predominated their end design, and they won (and one of the guys got all the credit). Yet, she is vilified for this? Even by women? Sure, she is not behaving super well - and seems to be unable to cotnrol her emotions when this stuff occurs - but can we really say we can and do behave better under the same circumstances. She also gets criticized for not exerting enough authority with her carpenter (who seems to not be listening to her at all). He is easily 15 years older than her (she is in her mid-twenties). How often do older men listen to younger women? Regardless of how the woman exerts whatever authority she may actually feel she has? I can't even seem to exert my authority over my male students - who are perhaps 10 years younger than me.

So I am damned happy she is still on the show. She has talent, and I like her aesthetic (even if she is unable to realize it given all the time limits and insanely idiotic curves they keep putting in the show), and I like that she doesn't roll over and give in, as I would be temtped to do.

1 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Bella Sultane said...

Hi, sorry to post this here, but my internet has gone incredibly wonky. Could you call when you get a chance?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home