.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

3.19.2007

So tempting...

My ex-advisor keeps posting requests on the department listserv for students to host her potential students when they come to interview with her. I am sooo tempted to offer. I have also been very tempted to show up at the student lunches with interviewing faculty. However, given that every single potential faculty who interviewed here this semester declined the department's offer, I have a hunch the students are doing a good enough job of scaring them off all by themselves. (as well they should - it looks like in the past year, 6 students were kicked out of my department - all but one were women students - would you want to join that department?).

1 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

yikes, everyone declined their offer -- and they dismised 6 grad students this year... as in, "don't come to school here", vs. "we'd love to keep you, but we have no further funding for you"... right?

If I were you, I'd probably look into a lawsuit. If you and the others decide to do so, I know some amazing law students in your city who would probably be outraged enough to exercise their connections. Send me an e-mail if you decide to do it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home