.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

3.06.2007

Thanks, and an idea

Thank you everyone for the encouragement re: the blog. Just to be clear - I don't watch my stats, so I don't know how many people come here. I was more concerned that I didn't seem to spark interactions anymore - and there are a lot of reasons for it I'm sure. But, I think it has increased my sense of being isolated and alone with my experiences.

Part of that is that when I got kicked out of school, I had to (well, chose to) leave the dissertation/thesis goal group I created - and that has left a hole in terms of support. I liked having a place (a discussion board) where we supported each other, talked about things that we didn't talk about on our blogs, and where we got to know each other better.

So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a discussion board? We made the goal one through livejournal, and you can restrict membership and make it private - so it is nice in terms of keeping things private and safe. I have been trying to think of a theme for it - I'm not really in a completely goal-ly place - but maybe it could be for people who are going through transitions, or struggling with overwhelm or stress, or having depression issues? The tricky thing for me is that it would be hard for me if people focused on grad school issues - so maybe if grad students want to join, you could agree at least for a while to not talk about those kinds of things. Is that too restrictive? I would be interested in a mix of academics and non-academics - and otherwise am open.

Anyone interested?

5 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I would like to join, mainly because I miss being in a community with you. I'm not sure I would be right for that kind of group at the moment, though, since I've been feeling better lately. There are still social things I'm struggling with, but I'm not sure you want to hear about those, either.
In any case, I hope you find a supportive community again. We miss you on the goals group.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

What Lucy said. We miss you in the goals group. As you probably know, I'm not in grad school myself anymore, so my goals aren't dissertation related these days. I'm sure that I can speak for all of the group in saying that we'd be more than happy for you to come back. However, if you don't want to be in a mainly grad student/goal oriented environment, then I completely understand. I really hope that you are able to build the support group that you need - I think it's a great idea.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

What they said. I miss you too. But I totally get why you would feel uncomfortable in a group that talks about grad student stuff so much.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I need help dealing with life stuff nowadays. I find it nearly impossible to deal with uncertainty, freaking myself out from time to time... I don't blog about it much, and since I am not constantly living in my same town this semester, I'm not going to my therapist lately, so I would be willing to participate, if I was welcome... and I won't make it about work stuff too much.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

Well, uncertainty and job seeking I can understand right now. I'm not even sure what job I want to/can do next. So if I'm not too much an outsider I would be willing to participate.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home