.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.14.2007

At least my thrift store karma is good

I took ianqui's advice and went thrift shopping. The thrift store I frequent most often is superb because there is a lot of handmade stuff there, and vintage stuff can be had as well. Plus, they don't tend to price things very differently - like the most expensive thing might be $6.00. Another thrift store nearby totally marks prices based on brands and materials - a cashmere sweater might cost you over $10.00. Sure, that's not much for cashmere - but it's used clothing! I also like my store because they have drapes and bedding - it isn't unusual to find some handmade quilts and handknitted afghans. So here's what I found:

silk scarves were 50 cents, so i got four. One is coral, black and pale pink (vintage I think), one is long and wide and can be used as a belt and it has butterflies and flowers on it, another is spring green, white, and blue (long rectangular -- good as a hair band), and the last is sequined and beaded and has a scene of a restoration couple dancing (it looks pretty old - I should look into the label as you can tell the hem is hand rolled and hand sewn - which I think is a good sign)
a handmade and hand embroidered mexican dress
a liz clairborne baby doll-esque dress that looks exactly like one I have been coveting from H&M (their prices have become a bit unreasonable, I think)
a handmade black and white polka dotted (!) empire waisted dress.
a bright orange long skirt that is quilted - I think I will make it into pillows for my bedroom
a dark brown slip with cream lace (the kind of lace you wouldn't mind poking out below a dress/skirt)
another handmade dress that is a cross between a 60s shift dress and an 80s dolman sleeved dress - it will look totally awesome with my faux frye books

My karma was so good, I couldn't get everything I loved .. I had to leave some things behind.

All of this came to less than 20 bucks.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

That sounds fabulous. I request a photo or two!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I second brightstar's request!

I'm so glad SOMETHING went right for you!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

See? Good for you!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger VDOprincess said...

Oooooooh! Lovely thrify goodness! Must post photos!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home