.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.12.2007

Four, four, four posts in one!

Post #1: Very very sad news.
I have some very very sad news for you. Quaker oatmeal's 1/2 the sugar peach oatmeal tastes like ass. Unless you add some sugar, that is. Stick to the full sugar peach flavored oatmeal.

Post #2: The last 30 seconds.
Compare and contrast the last 30 seconds of Lost to Top Design. The last 30 seconds of Lost tonight drew me in, infuriated me, made me question the entire last 59 minutes (minus 30 minutes of commercials) and left me wanting more. The last 30 seconds of Top Design alienated me, infuriated me, and made me question the last 9 episodes, and left me wanting a refund.

Post #3: Help for teh internets (and the NYT)
By the by, if you didn't know this yet, the NYT now allows anyone with a .edu address to access times select for free (so you have free access to all their archives and all the op ed pieces). But, back to the gist of this (the only way I can remember how to spell gist is that I had a prof who insisted on pronouncing it with a hard g). A new commenter pointed me to a document on how to write a review that is super helpful. If you are interested it is here . I'd like all reviewers for the NYT to read it as it strongly cautions against writing summaries of books as a review. I am so tired of every single review in the NYT book section (and basically most book reviews everywhere -- but I expect more from the NYT) is simply a recapitulation of the plot. I thus typically read the first paragraph of reviews and then maybe skim to the last - because I don't want to find out too much about the plot in advance. I also find the reviews to be oddly non-evaluative and not very analytic, which disturbs me.

Post #4: Give me your tired, your worn, your dating stories.
Yesterday over dinner with the lovely B* (yes, aren't you jellus - I know sheepers is cuz he emailed me), I made her tell me dating stories. So, now I am asking all of you for your dating stories, flirting stories, stories of dating deception, stories of bizarre dating behaviors and shattered social norms, stories of inappropriate self-disclosures, you name it. This is what we are talking about in my class this week, and I need more entertaining material! If you'd prefer to talk about it on your own blog, just leave me a comment so I can read them all. Oh, and I will share them with my students, if they seem pedagogically useful that is*, so don't share anything you don't want passed on. The juicier the better. Today, we analyzed some really good craigslist personal ads. I made students act them out. Much fun was had by all.



* and by pedagogically useful I mean learning by hearing about other people's miserable experiences.

4 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger BrightStar said...

They should all be jealous of ME, because I got to have dinner with YOU!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I am jealous of both of you!
I don't have any dating stories, but I'm looking forward to reading other people's. Also, speaking of craigslist, have you seen these missed connections comics?

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Bella Sultane said...

Did I mention the brothel guy? I can't remember who I've told that story to. And then there was the Republican...

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Bella, you can't just name them, you have to tell the stories!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home