.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.17.2007

I am not the evil stepmother who killed your beloved and beautiful mother

So get over yourselves.

(Warning: I am in a foul mood having awoken convinced there was a german shepherd in my bed*, which frightened the bejeebus out of me, and then I promptly got a very bloody nose).

I'm getting really sick of my students' complaints, and of all the hassles of teaching.

  • I heard two students criticizing me for not being able to use the powerpoint system. I could not use it on the first day, but have used it since then. I couldn't use it the first day because I didn't know I was in an electronic classroom - and had only been told the day before even which room I was in.
  • I am tired of the constant challenges. On friday, I handed out the final project guidelines, and asked them to peruse it, talked them through it, and asked if there were any questions. I waited a bit because some students are slow to ask questions and because there are always questions (and I prefer students ask in class than over email). No one raised their hand - and I waited maybe 30 seconds - and then one [male] student said, "Apparently no one has any questions."
  • Once again yesterday in class, I talked about their next assignment due next monday. A student again asked when they would get their papers back (they only turned them in a week ago - and there are 60 students - that's a lot of papers). I told them unfortunately, as I announced last week, they would not get them back before they turned in their next paper, but that the TAs would give the whole class general feedback this week to help them improve this next paper. One student (same male student) said "That's not fair, I need that paper back so I don't make the same mistakes." I said that we needed time to ensure we did a good job grading, and it just wouldn't happen - partly because after the TAs grade the papers, I go through and review the grades to ensure they are all consistent and fair. It is not in their best interest for us to rush the grading.
  • I am getting criticized for not having blackboard up and running - they complain that they need copies of the powerpoints. I have 2 students (becuase they have ADD), and now one TA, who want me to send them my powerpoints after every class. I'm tired of this hassle too. I have been trying to get blackboard - but as of today, they still don't have me listed as the prof, so they can't do it.

I want to sayy, "Look, it isn't easy teaching a brand new course at a brand new university with one week's notice. Your beloved professor is the one you should be grouchy at - not me. She's the one who bailed one week before classes started forcing the department to have to scramble to find someone to fill in. You should be kissing my ass for taking this on at the last minute - otherwise you'd all have had to scramble to find another class to take."

I'm just really tired of the attitude and the complaints and the hassles. I heard on the news yesterday that employees need support and encouragement in order to do a good job. When you teach - especially if you are an adjunct and don't have departmental supports in place, if you are *only* teaching and don't have other professional arenas in which to get support - your only source of feedback is from your students - and that sucks. Yes, I could have someone sit in on my class, but I'm not going to. I just don't care enough, and I don't want to open myself up to any more critical feedback.

I just don't understand where it is that students learned to treat professors (esp female ones) with such disrespect ... and why they seem to expect so much from the professor in terms of flexibility, changing deadlines, grading things super quickly, and why they feel so fricking entitled to special treatment.


* It was just stinkerbelle - but she was sitting there and staring at me, and I didn't have my glasses on, and for some reason, she looked like a huge german shepherd. I like dogs, but scary if one is all of a sudden in your bed.

1 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Bella Sultane said...

Oh, Lady, you are having a rough week!

Students have NO clue what it takes to create a class, especially under such a time constraint.

I'm sorry that you got stuck with such a stinky group. :-(

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home