.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.13.2007

I have crappy crappy karma

Not only did I lose my debit card and my flash drive this week, I also dropped my laptop on a concrete floor. It's fine, but I have been so freaking worried.

My students are grouchy with me because I don't have a blackboard site up (and am thus not yet posting my powerpoints - which I don't like doing anyway, but I always bow to pressure). I don't have a blackboard site because I didn't have an email address. I didn't have an email address because the staff person who was supposed to get it told me it would be a few weeks. I then finally got my email address on wednesday, but I still can't get a blackboard site because I am not listed as the prof (since I got the job one week before class started). I am also not in the human resources system, which also means I didn't get paid last week (which I was supposed to have since they break up your pay into chunks). I called human resources, and they claim they haven't gotten my paperwork yet. The person who did the paperwork in my department is out. Does this sound familiar?

I also have an office mate who is a grad student and who thinks he needs to teach me about teaching. He has a grad student office that he shares with one other person (and is supposed to use that office) but prefers to use mine. He passes a lot of gas. He is a know it all. I have no desire to interact with him. I told him when my office hours were so he'd plan accordingly (since he has his own fricking office!). Today I went to my office hour, and he was sitting at my desk talking to a student, and didn't even get up when I came in. Grrr...

My TA, who I am thrilled to have, has told me that I need to make sure I am more "p.c." For example, she chastised me for saying "the projects" and should have said "low income housing." WTF? I was making a point that these researchers worked damned hard to try to get data that was representative of the population. Plus, projects are projects. If you've ever been there you know that for the good and the bad*, they are not low-income housing. They are projects.

A friend of mine was looking for a teaching job at the same time. I suggested she contact the department and see if they still needed anyone to fill openings. They didn't, but forwarded her vita to some other departments at the same university. She got a job teaching 20 freshman about personal finance stuff, has no syllabus, no real lectures - it's mostly about how to manage money in excel. She also only has to teach two days a week (I teach 3 days a week and have 60 students). She got hired a few days after me, and already has a university email account, blackboard site, faculty ID, and has been paid. She has also been asked to teach this summer and fall.

Seriously, stuff like this makes me think I must be a horrible person as my karma sucks so much.



* Some who live there want to stay because they feel a sense of community, a sense of stability, some grew up there so it is truly their home, and many have good neighbor and family support there. They are also often adjacent to public transport, and thus convenient - unlike the places the city is trying to ship the residents off to. The bad is more obvious - crime, poverty, ghettoization/segregation, complete lack of services, etc. And some are completely without water or electricity (the city is trying to get them out), but people still live there as they have few to no options - plus, it is their home.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I don't think you should see this as reflective of you. You are having a crappy time through no fault of your own.

And it is unbelievably sucky that you are having the same struggle to get paid in this job as you had in the last.

I'm glad your laptop is okay.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I'm sorry you're having a sucky time, too. *hugs*

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

Honey, maybe you need to indulge in some retail therapy, or some kind of therapy. Even if it's second hand so you don't have to spend very much. On the bright side, this week is over.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Anastasia said...

i totally agree...projects are projects.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

You do not suck. You rock. It's my guess that your positive karma is going to come in later in one lump sum? I mean, I think you should be getting many good things and much better treatment.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

You shall overcome!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home