.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.13.2007

I'm going to get sued for sexual harassment, and it's all Lucy's fault

or at least 50% of it is. The second incident is pure me.

Each day when I teach, I begin the day with a comic. A few posts ago, Lucy suggested (given that I had my students analyze craigslist personal ads) I check out the missed connections comics on flickr. So, I saw one I liked, added it to my powerpoint, and went on my merry way.

I powered up my powerpoint, and lo and behold...something about the comic became apparent when it was blown up to 10 feet by 10 feet. Can you see it???



Oh my lordy lordy lord. Have I failed to mention this is a catholic school at which I am teaching?

So, maybe the second incident is still Lucy's fault - as clearly I was traumatized by having seen this and realizing I was also traumatizing my poor little pious and chaste students. So, we (my students and I) had a rough day. I was out of sorts as it was truly just minutes before class that I found out my uncle had died ... and I was tired and cranky. I was a very boring lecturer, apparently, and my students yawned, chatted, left to go to the restroom, left period, looked bored, didn't participate, etc. When that happens, I get foot-in-mouth disease as I try to ratchet up the entertainment value of my utterances. It is for this reason that I found myself saying this,

"When one is dating, emotional arousal is high, the need to present oneself in the most desireable and likable way compounds anxiety and the pressure one feels. As a result, one of the unfortunate effects is that the more anxious and aroused (emotionally or sexually) one feels, the harder it is to keep under wraps the things one least wishes to disclose. You may have things about yourself you wouldn't want to share on a first date, and yet horrifyingly find yourself saying those very things because all the pressure to keep it down just makes it bob to the surface uncontrollably. So, you may find yourself shouting on a first date, 'I like to have sex with dead people!'."

oh lordy lordy lordy. At least I was able to then launch into a story about someone who liked to have sex with dead people, and somewhat relate it to course content. But still... I should not be molding young impressionable minds.

6 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous sheepish said...

O. M. G. This is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

At least I was able to then launch into a story about someone who liked to have sex with dead people, and somewhat relate it to course content.

Umm, how does that merit an "at least"?!?

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Oh Shrinky, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I'm going to have to do both. You poor thing! You really are having the crappiest day/week/year.

PS: What was the point of the cartoon meant to be?

PPS: Maybe you could rescue yourself by telling the students next time that you were illustrating your point about nervousness and pressure to perform making people say and do things they wouldn't usually: and that your cartoon and statement about sex with dead people was an ironic illustration of this.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

PPPS: Obviously I'm not asking about the point of the cartoon once the butcher's bits were visible: I mean before you knew they were there. What were you using it to illustrate?

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Hey, I didn't tell you to use that cartoon! At least, you might've got the students' attention. :)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

The comic situation is pretty darn funny... and horrifying all at once! It sounds like you handled it well, actually. I mean, what can you but go with it?

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

That's hilarious!

I've done something similar. While teaching an evening class (3 hours, one night per week, so the class itself was exhausting) after a full day's work at the office, I slipped and called Teddy Roosevelt's Big Stick Policy the "Big Dick Policy." I will never again trust myself when I get to that part of the lecture.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home