.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.26.2007

Powerpoint complaints

First, why is there no clock - or no option to have a clock show on the screen while you do your presentation? This just strikes me as an idiotic move. In my classroom, there is no clock on the walls, and my watch is set 5 minutes ahead (and is also not the easiest watch to read quickly). So, I end up using my cell phone - but that is annoying because it means I need to: a) remember to bring it; b) remember to keep it charged all the time; and c) keep looking at my cell phone, which may make students think it is okay to look at one's cell phone. A clock that shows on the computer would help me keep track of time (and I'd prefer one only I can see). I think there are some you can download, but the computer is not mine, so I can't just go willy-nilly downloading things.

Second, why is there no "peek" at the next screen? So often I can't remember what is next, and it would help me a lot to know that. I'd also like to be able to know how many slides are left.

Also, when you present, you can't see any of the notes you may have put into the little note section. Why is that?

6 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I KNOW! I totally agree with all of these thoughts about power point! WHAT IS THE DEAL!?!?

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

i totally agree. sometimes I wonder who this is better than a slide projector....?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I think I read something about a way to have the notes show up on your laptop screen, but not the projector. Let me look. It might have been for whatever the mac-only presentation software is, though; do you have that?

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I know the notes thing can be done on both macs and PCs -- but I don't know how to do it... hubby does it all the time and I don't use my laptop in the classroom.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

I know that keynote (the mac version of powerpoint) allows you to do the notes thing. But honestly, it is the least of my complaints, as i never actually use it. It seems really idiotic to me that there is no clock - who isn't concerned about time when presenting???

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger psychgrad said...

I agree that those would be nice features...particularly keeping the notes visible so that I don't have to print all of my notes out before class.

There is a timer...which isn't as good as a clock...but at least you know after a certain number of minutes how many minutes there should be left in the class.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home