.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.10.2007

Random TV annoyances

1. I'm not a fan of celebrities' personalities, they just seem so fake. But Halle Berry takes the cake, I could barely stand to listen to her interview on Good Morning America - the way she interacted with people was so insipid I felt liek hurling.

2. It seems to me we need a Kiterunner for Iraq. Diane Sawyer is in Afghanistan and was expressing such interest in the culture and the people - and I think that that book may have made the Afghan people into "innocent victims" such that we have more empathy for them and believe them to be wholly undeserving of the horrors that have befallen them. We need someone to write a similar book about Iraq so people can feel some empathy for them as well.

3. Valerie Bertinelli is the new spokesperson for Jenny Craig and is thus appearing in commercials with Kirsty Alley. I hate those commercials - and I hate the industry. However, it strikes me as odd that Valerie is saying she wants or needs to lose 30 pounds, and yet she looks to be about the same weight (or proportions, since she is much shorter) as Kirsty - she just is wearing an unfortunate dress that makes her look lumpier than she is. You can bet that in the next commercial, irrespective of how much weight she has actually lost, she will be wearing something much more fitted, because of course you can only wear fitted things if you are chubby, but are on a weight loss program.

edited to add: 4. I need to get to work, as clearly tv is annoying the heck out of me. I watched part of the Today show and caught Molly Shannon's interview. Sadly, my least favorite anchor (Al Roker) interviewed her. I find him insipid (the word of today) and self-focused, and this interview was no exception. So, she is promoting a film about a woman whose dog dies, and for whom this event is devastating. Al notes that it is odd she is this women who is "obsessed" with her dog, and seems to imply that: a) loving one's dog like a family member is bad, pathological, crazy; and b) it is not a real, valid life. He then notes that in her real life she is actually married with two kids, which he exclaims is "really good" (in stark contrast to who she protrays in the movie). Al Roker needs to bite me.

Here's a think that is not annoying about tv - I really think I have a crush on Rachel Ray. I don't know what it is about her, but I really like her. I wish I were better at recording and watching recorded tv shows so I could watch her show regularly ...

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I saw that interview with Al and Molly Shannon and I had the same reaction -- like what in the heck makes her off camera life so much better than the on camera life? Grrr....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home