.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.06.2007

Retail pet peeves...

1. There's an art store in the city that I really like. However, they require that you check your bag before shopping. I can see why that might be necessary - art students and artists are poor, and they may become so desperate to make art they are reduced to shoplifting. However, whenever I try to check my bag, there is never anyone at the counter and it takes what seems like forever to get anyone's attention. If a store wants to make me check my bag (which for me is an inconvenience), they need to facilitate that by ensuring there is someone there to check it!

2. I don't know if this is regional, or a new trend in change giving, but I hate it when cashiers take your change and pile it up: cash, receipt, and coins, into one bundle and press the entire bundle into your hand (as opposed to handing you the coins first, then the cash and receipt). If I am going to truly put these where they belong, it will take me a while, and hold up the line. So, I always end up sort of shoving the whole pile into the cash part of my wallet, which causes a lot of problems later.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

ugh, the pile o' change thing annoys the crap out of me.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I don't think anyone has EVER handed change to me in the sensible way you describe, but only ever in piles. I wish they would do the coins first...

Maybe this increase in the pile-it-up method means Australian and NZ customs are invading the USA.

My strategy is usually to take my purchase and pack it into a bag before I take the change, then take the change in my now-free hand, walk away from the counter (out of the shop or at least out of the way) and then rearrange everything, putting the bag on the floor and my change into my wallet, etc. It's very inconvenient now that I think about it, though.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home