.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

4.27.2007

This is the kind of thing that gets stuck in my head

and makes me feel "less than," unfortunately.

Yesterday on Martha Stewart, Carolina Herrera (sp?), a fashion designer, was a guest. She said that women's waists should be the exact same circumference as their heads; her waistline has always been exactly the same measurement as her head.

This morning I measured my head. 23 inches. That is quite a bit smaller than my waist, and I have a big head! I just checked a size chart, and according to that, if I had a 23 inch waist, I'd be an american size 00. Not a zero, a double zero. I am 5'8" - wouldn't a size 00 make me like, I dunno, anorexic?

This is an insane recommendation (and she noted that men need not have their heads and waists match, as they needn't have small waists)! And this is the kind of assertion that can completely mess with women's minds - and particularly the minds of young women and girls.

5 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Is she, perhaps, selling corsets? See: http://www.neatorama.com/2005/11/26/cathie-jungs-15-inch-waist/.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

the same as their heads?? she's lost her bleeding mind.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

But where would your internal organs go?

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Dr. Deb said...

C'mon, that's ridiculous. Maybe for the unreal world of fashion, body proportions like that work.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

clio: I'd have to have all my ribs removed in order to have a 15 inch waist

anastasia: I know, huh!

QWOP: In a bag to be worn in a fanny pack, apparently. Or perhaps in a giblet bag up your a$$. :)

dr. deb: maybe, but I don't think she was saying that - I think she thought that was the norm. And poor Martha's body image sucks, and she engages in so much social body comparison on her show, it's not even funny.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home