.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.08.2007

Amenities

In my neighborhood, there are not many amenities. This is the price you pay for low rents, I guess. It is, for the good and the bad, a fairly quickly developing neighborhood - although thus far this has mostly meant lots of condos (which sadly is causing rents to go up). We have one starbucks, which actually makes me happy because it is fairly close to my house and because the area where it is has really gotten quite nice (there is an upscale italian restaurant next door, our first sushi place, and a nice little upscale food market). We are sorely, however, lacking in indie coffee houses. An organic bakery opened up around the corner from me - they have coffee and will have espresso soon, and have free wifi - but their baked goods are kind of yucky (the quick breads are too cakey and bland, and the wheat breads are dry and bland). An awesome coffee house/restaurant near me was "discovered" (and was written up in the NYT) and now no one from the neighborhood can go there anymore (which is too bad because they have awesome vegetarian food). There are a couple other indie coffee places, but they aren't within easy walking distance.

But, it looks like a coffee house in the super hipster neighborhood right next to ours has been forced out of their current location, and they may move to my neighborhood. I love them because the wifi is free with purchase, they have bubble tea, and there are tons of couches there. If it comes to our neighborhood (as opposed to going to a diff location in the hipster neighborhood), it will go into the space that used to house a dearly departed mexican restaurant that had the best enchiladas (with yummy mole) and huge margaritas. That would make me super happy. It would also then be on my way to my subway station - which would mean coffee in the morning if I want. yahoo!

And speaking of amenities ... I applied for a job a week and a half ago. I was a little worried because it is in one of the nearby suburbs, and not in the city itself. I'm just not fond of long commutes - and really, not fond of having to transfer. I mapped it the other day and found that not only is it close to the best mall in the area (yay!) it is also super close to a huge asian market (double yay!).

I'm hopeful about the job not only for those amenities, but also because it would let me be a shrink with my preferred population in an agency that well fits what I am looking for. It's not the perfect job - but it is a step in the right direction.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home