.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.05.2007

Do try this at home

I have been wanting to try Trader Joe's matcha green tea baking/cake mix for quite some time. But when I first saw it, I waffled and decided to look up reviews of it first. It got good reviews, and lo and behold, when I went back, it was all gone.

Part of my concern is that it requires eggs and butter, and I prefer mixes that require neither. I'm a fussy vegetarian and will only eat eggs if they are in something and I cannot tell at all that they are in there. Quiche is totally out, as is french toast. But cupcakes with eggs in the batter are fine. However, I do not want to buy eggs, and don't want to cook with them myself. So, I want mixes that don't require using eggs. And butter is expensive, and I'd prefer to not use that.

When I initially saw that the green tea mix was out, I decided to try the vanilla, as I love vanilla. I tried it with margarine instead of butter and bananas instead of eggs. It worked really well, except they tasted like banana cupcakes instead of vanilla cupcakes. That's fine if you want a banana cupcake, but I really wanted vanilla ones. Applesauce is supposed to be another good egg substitute, but I've yet to try it. And there is a vegan egg replacement product - but I've not tried that either.

Recently I read that you can put a can of soda in any cake mix instead of the oil/butter and eggs. I tried it recently when I made red velvet cupcakes for a friend (that batter is sooo messy! as are the cupcakes - everything turns red - totally not worth it). I got a diet pepsi in the caramel cream flavor (pretty tasty, actually), and mixed in 1.5 cups of it and it worked quite nicely. The texture was a bit different - but you can't tell. And this makes the cupcakes (unfrosted) really quire low in fat and calories.

So today I was at trader joe's, and saw they had the green tea mix again. I wasn't exaclty jonesing for them, but wasn't going to make the mistake of putting off buying them again, so I got them. And I have horrible impulse control, so I made them when I got home. I mixed the mix with 1.5 cups of diet cream soda, and they worked!

The diet soda itself wasn't the best choice because that particular brand has a really strong aspartame-y aftertaste - so that made the cupcakes have the same aftertaste. But, they are still yummy. Slightly odd texture - but still yummy.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I made cupcakes with diet soda the other day! See!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

A friend of mine uses vinegar and baking soda instead of eggs. (With spectacular results. Such good cake.) But I'm not sure how she does it, or what quantities she uses. I should ask her.

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

I've used applesauce before. It's good. Just make sure to get the unsweetened kind! (I made that mistake the first time I used it as a replacer and that was one sweet zucchini bread.)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger EA said...

Another pretty good egg replacer: finely ground flax seed boiled in a 1:3 ratio with water. One egg = 1 tbsp ground flax seed boiled in 3 tbsp of water
Makes a gooey, egg-like substance that holds things together pretty well.
Works well in cookie recipies, haven't tried it with cakes though...

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger EA said...

Oh, forgot...I use my coffee grinder to deal with whole flax seed...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home