.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.17.2007

the good and the bad

Bad: My glasses are just about to snap in half. The nose thingy has a crack in it, and despite my trying to superglue it, it is very fragile. Technically, I can afford to replace them - however, glasses are expensive (especially ones that I like) and not something I really thought I'd have to buy just yet. Also, I have two more paychecks left for this teaching gig, and I don't have anything lined up yet for afterwards - so I'm a little worried about spending that money. But, I can't see, so it's not like I have any options. I may, though, ask my mom to help (I'm a good daughter right now because I sent her dog a gift AND I sent her three mother's day cards - one from each pet and one from me - and a mother's day gift).

Good: I went thrift shopping to see if I could find anything that might be good for an interview in the summer. I had no luck with that, but did find a few other things:
* another housedress (the label calls it "lounging attire") - it is orange, brown, and cream floral on silk/satin. It is from the 50s or 60s and is actually super flattering.

* An incredible sheer linen floor length skirt that has knife pleats. What I love about it (and why I couldn't leave it there) is that it has tiny flowers up at the waist, and the flowers get bigger and bigger the closer you get to the hem. the flowers are periwinkle, yellow, and a papaya color. I don't know what I am going to do with it though because it is far too long and too small in the waist. I may either make it into a dress or put in a new waistband and shorten it. I am scared to hurt it though.

* a dark green floral baby doll dress. It is long, so will need to be hemmed.

* A Diane Von Furstenburg(!) dress. It is red paisley and is sadly not her quintessential wrap dress - rather it is a shift dress with ruffles at the neck. It has pockets - which infortunately make my hips look HUGE. I don't want to hurt the dress by sewing them shut and cutting them out though!

But this is annoying: the linen skirt is a size 16 - and I can't even zip it closed when I put it around my actual waist (I never wear anything around my waist as I am too short waisted). The DVF dress is a size 10 and fits perfectly. Crazy sizes.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Lina said...

You've got a Diane Von Furstenburg dress?! Oh.... be still my heart... so jealous! Don't hurt it!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home