.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.17.2007

Hillary asked for my help...

Well, not *my* help per se - rather the help of everyone on her email list.

When I saw the title of the email which was "we need your advice" I was really excited that they might want some input into issues or priorities - but no, it was not that at all. She's looking for a campaign song, and wants help choosing it.

So, I looked at the list, and I was underwhelmed. I'm curious as to how you would vote - and if you have better ideas than those she came up with (you can go vote there if you like).

1. City of Blinding Lights by U2
I don't know this song and got bored of it while listening to the musical intro.

2. Suddenly I see by KT Tunstall
I think this song is too overused (isn't it from some tv show?) and wouldn't give her a unique song. I keep thinking of Bill Clinton's campaign song, "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow" - that stuck with me, and it felt like it fit and it defined him to some extent. She needs a song that people know, but that isn't too tied to something else.

3. I'm a believer by Smashmouth
Good song, but it is too tied to Shrek to me - and I don't think she wants to evoke images of huge green ogres in her campaign - nor of asses.

4. Get ready by the Temptations
I guess this could be okay - but it is an old song - and I think she needs something that feels fresh. Plus, I feel like it is in a commercial or something?

5. Ready to run by the Dixie Chicks
This is what I voted for - even though I'm not really sure the lyrics fit - the refrain to me feels catchy and fun - and I like the idea of the Dixie chicks being associated with Hillary - although they are maybe more controversial than would be helpful for Hillary? I also like the idea of women's voices as the campaign song.

6. Rock this country by Shania Twain
Don't know the song and not a fan of country really (except for Dixie Chicks and Neko Case - who is less and less country over time)

7. Beautiful Day by U2
Same reaction as to the other U2 song.

8. Right here, right now by Jesus Jones
Isn't this a car commercial song? Next!

9. I'll take you there by the Staple Singers
This seems to have some sexual connotations to me - and I think the Clintons likely want to decrease people's associations with them and sex (scandals). Is it a song from a commercial too?


There really must be a much better song out there for her somewhere. Any ideas? Go vote, write them in.


Okay, I just perused my music collection - how about these (not necessarily serious - some of these would be hilarious):
Take a chance on me by Abba
In spite of all the damage by the Be Good Tanyas
Women's realm by Belle and Sebastian
Cheap and evil girl by Bree Sharp
Have I got a girl for you from Company
Better version of me by Fiona Apple
Big boned gal by KD Lang
It's a mighty thin line between love and hate by Kelly Hogan
Girls! Girls! Girls! by Liz Phair
Run on by Moby
Baby watch your back by Nellie McKay
Change the world by Nellie McKay (great title, but the song wouldn't work)
Start the fire by No Doubt (and our song would be Don't let me down by No Doubt)
The long day is over by Norah Jones
Defying Gravity from Wicked (this might be not a horrible choice, actually - and would endear her to many women and girls)
Climb on (a back that's strong) by Shawn Colvin
With so little to be sure of by Stephen Sondheim
Talkin' bout a revolution by Tracy Chapman (another not horrible idea)
Why did I listen to that man? from Urinetown

I think my top pick might be "Free to be you and me!" by the New Seekers from the book, record, cd, dvd, of the same name by Marlo Thomas and the Ms Foundation. How awesome would that be??? If you don't know it (gasp! horrors!) you can listen to samples over at amazon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger The History Enthusiast said...

"Suddenly I See" was the song they played on "So You Think You Can Dance?" whenever someone got kicked off and they had that little video montage of the dancer's experiences on the show. That said, I do think its a really catchy song.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Oooh, I really like the Tracy Chapman song on your list. I think that'd be a good one!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home