.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.06.2007

Hokey smokes

For over 10 years, I have had a lump on the side of my neck -right above my shoulder. It has always been slight - but I have always been pretty worried about it. I saw a doctor about it when I was in undergrad (and had compltely free, completely accessible healthcare) and the doctor could barely find it and told me it was nothing.

This morning I just happened to touch my neck and felt the lum - I would say it has more than quadrupled in size, and i was filled with panic. (It's a little ironic after yesterday's column in the NYT about neck tumors). It also hurts - which I think is a good sign.

So, I guess I have to figure out the name of the free health clinic and see if I can get in. I hate this.

6 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

I asked Friend and she asked if it might be a lymph node. If it's firm, slides a bit and isn't really round, it could be a swollen lymph node (depending on where it is). She asked if you had been scratched (perhaps by a cat) on your arm. If it is a scratch/swollen lymph node, she suggests antibiotics. So seeing a doctor is good regardless. I hope you see someone soon so you don't have to think about it for too long.

I hate weird physical things like that too - I hope it gets resolved very soon and very easily.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I hope you can get it checked out!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Lina said...

post-doc's friend may well be right about the lymph mode: I had that problem.
Hope it's ok.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

Just adding my hopes that it's okay!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I've got one of those two: also on the side of my neck, and have had it since I was 12 (I went to the doctor back then and he said it was nothing). It has always been big enough that I can feel it, but not so big that it is noticeable to others. Last year suddenly it swelled up to about three or four times its former size so that other people could see it sticking out.

I went to the doctor and she said it was a lipoma, basically just a fatty growth that is totally benign. It went back to normal size on its own within a few weeks.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to the doctor: just try not to freak out about it too much.

The way the doctor said you could tell it was just a lipoma is that when you press on it, it feels like it shifts slightly under the skin.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote, and hope, "lymphnode." I have one that busts out its painful lymphnode moves w/tiny triggers-- it's a base of the neck thing: allergies, flu, cold, lack of sleep...all these things help it toward hugeness, but the first time it did its little flare-up thing it was terrifying. Someone else could actually SEE it, and she was horrified too. - nu (from heynonny)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home