.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.23.2007

How do you write a letter to a journal editor?

I have something I want to submit to a journal - but all of my previous pubs have been invited - so I don't know how to "cold call" a journal. Would any of you be willing to share a letter with me? I feel like there are special things you are supposed to put into it, but I can't remember.

4 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous c'trix said...

For the journals in my field cover letters aren't really necessary. Submissions are usually electronic these days, and there isn't always a place for a cover letter anyway. I'm curious whether "pitching" articles to editors is common practice in other fields. My experience has been that as long as the article fits the audience/scope of the journal and isn't incomprehensibly written, the editor sends it out to let the reviewers decide whether to publish it or not.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

The journal to which I want to submit this asks for a letter. I am supposed to do the following:

An accompanying letter should request review and include the following information: that the manuscript (a) is not currently under review elsewhere, (b) has not been previously published in whole or in part, and (c) conforms to APA standards on ethical treatment of participants.

Do I just do exactly that: I'd like to request that the attached manuscript be reviewed. It is not being reviewed elsewhere, has not been published elsewhere, and conforms....?

Also, if you are building upon your previous research, and you say that in your manuscript (and then cite that research) - how do you make sure it is not identifiable anywhere except on the title page?

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

Do I just do exactly that... That's all I do. My cover letters pretty much only say that sort of thing.

If I am building upon my research, though, I put those references in the cover letter and then blind them in the m.s. as (Author, Year) in the paper and in the reference list I put only Author (Year).

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous sheepilicious said...

If you think it's a tough sell, you could include a sentence or two about why you think your manuscript would be of interest to the journal's readership. Probably not necessary, but it also doesn't hurt to do that.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home