.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.21.2007

I really ought to at least thank you all!

Today in class I realized that more often than not, I use examples from all of y'all's lives in my class. Typically, I preface them by saying, "Oh yes, a friend of mine is dealing with this exact issue .... blah blah blah" and then I (being the loser I am) pretend like I really know all of you and blather on about your lives and your relationships and your issues. So, I am grateful to each and every one of you for living far more interesting lives than I do so that I can use you as fodder for my teaching.

7 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger New Kid on the Hallway said...

Oh, I so do this! I'm always dreading the day when someone asks me something tough like, oh, where this "friend" lives, or what her name is...! ;-)

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I do it too... I've also started using the phrase "my blog buddy" with hubby.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

i do this, too! I just say "my friend" to strangers and hope no one asks where I know her/him from or where h/she lives. or uhhh his/her name, although I do know the names of a few fellow bloggers. with my husband, I say "the person who writes one of the blogs I read" but "blog buddy" is much more efficient.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger AAYOR said...

I do this, too!

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Me too! At least twice in the last two days I've had to use the vague phrase "a friend of mine" when I really mean "someone whose blog I read": once when I was making Wolfa's no-knead bread and my mother asked where I had the recipe from, and another time when she asked why my light had been on after midnight and I had to say I was chatting to "a friend in the US". Fortunately no one has yet asked how I know these people...

The worst is when you start a sentence and only THEN realise that it is taking you down the blog-mentioning path. Like, "Oh yeah, I've heard that film is great! Shri--- uh--- a friend of mine was 'talking' about it."

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

oooh yeah, I've totally almost called folks by their bloggy names in ordinary conversation, which could be awkward if I didn't catch myself.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Bardiac said...

I've done that, too, and then caught myself just in time. So far. The day is coming, though, when I won't, and how am I going to explain someone named "New Kid" or "Styley Geek" or "Shrinkykitten"? Seriously!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home