.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.10.2007

I want to go on strike

I would like to refuse to pay taxes until:
1. the war in iraq is over
2. the country is turned over to NGOs and humanitarian efforts
3. genocide has stopped in darfur
4. we have a democrat for president and our hold on congress is maintained
5. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has a couple more colleagues who support women's rights and my values.
6. roe v. wade is made un-overturnable
7. women make as much money as men
8. everyone has health care - including mental health care
9. a task force to create programs to end violence against women is financed by the federal government
10. education is made available to anyone who wants it, and that all elementary, jr high, and high schools that are publicly funded are kept to the same high education and funding standards - and that schools in poor or black or hispanic or native american or "inner city" neighborhoods are able to provide as quality of educations (wht as small of class sizes) to their children as the schools in the wealthy white suburbs.
11. childcare is affordable
12. all those who educate our youths (pre-school to university) are paid what they deserve
13. this student loan crisis is resolved, and students no longer need to choose a major/degree based on what will best allow them to pay back their loans
14. gays and lesbians can marry
15. we create a way for those already in the US to work toward citizenship and stop this vilification of "illegal" immigrants.

Because I looked at my earning statement, and I think it is ridiculous that I am making less than $1000 a month, and yet I am paying $200 a month in taxes, and yet none of that really seems to do anything to fund anything I think is important. I have no problem paying taxes if I believe in what the money is supporting.

So, I want to go on strike.

5 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Maybe you should go on strike. You wouldn't be the only one. I hear the tax office usually doesn't bother fighting with you about it unless you are earning huge amounts.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Have you watched Stranger than Fiction? That reminds me of Anna, who only pays taxes for the percentage of the government's budget that she supports.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Say *NO* to taxes! said...

Yes, definitely go on strike, shrinky. Do it! Tax protest is the most effective and non-violent mode of civil resistance that any individual can wage, and it's an excellent personal demonstration of ethical conviction and moral stamina.

But don't forget that you also can't use any public services (e.g., mass transportation, garbage collection, 911, police, fire, etc.) or public infrastructure (e.g., roads, Internet, sewers, libraries, public schools, all utilities, etc.) that taxes help to support, as well. Otherwise, you'd just be a freeloader, not a tax protester.

Go for it!

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

I like to think that my taxes are entirely going to the government arms that I support, like the National Science Foundation or the National Institutes of Health. In fact, sometimes I imagine that my own money is coming right back to me in the form of grants. Or to my friends, at least.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Kate said...

I just met a tax resistor this week -- he had a lot of cool stuff to say and talked about three women in their eighties he had just met who had been resisting taxes for fifty years.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home