.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.13.2007

I will say this...

Marie Antoinette's life pretty much sucked. The movie, however, is much much better than I was led to belive - I think it was actually pretty outstanding. If you watch it, and if you are as ignorant of European history as I am, I recommend (embarassingly enough) that you read the wikipedia entry on her. I found it quite close to the movie, and provided enough background and detail for me to understand the movie better. Some of the reviews say that the movie is fine if you know nothing about her - but I think knowing just a little bit helped tremendously.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I went with another European historian, and we both completely agree with you. That movie is fabulous. And thoroughly deserved that costume design Oscar. (Did you know that Manolo Blahnik made those shoes that Marie gets as a present?)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home