.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.26.2007

I'm much more alluring in the suburbs!

I went to the suburbs today. It felt so daring ... so adventurous!

Well, it was because I had to take a whole different bus system - which had previously really scared me. For some reason, the thought of getting on a bus, not knowing how much it costs, and having to ask the driver scares the bejeezus out of me. Even though that info is available on the web, I was still scared of looking like a fool. But, I did it! Luckily the first bus driver was super nice and helpful (just when I was thinking, "Wow! People in the suburbs are soooo nice!" I found that the other bus drivers were not so nice).

The reason for my trip was threefold:
1. to see how to get to my interview and what is nearby in case I need to get a drink or use a restroom or waste time beforehand (which I didn't totally learn because it is in a building off of this bus route - but I got close to it, I think)

2. To go to the big mall (exciting!)

3. to go to the big asian market (I was so excited about this, I even made up a little song about it in my head!).

On my way there, I got hit on by a creepy guy in a patchwork leather jacket (yuck). He said, "Mmmmm... you have some style! Where you from? You from the country? You got some style. You live in the suburbs? Cuz you's got your own style." Ummmm...okay. The boots I was wearing always get creepy male attention - which is weird cuz they are just camel colored flat heeled boots I got at a vintage store years ago. But I always get male attention (not cute male attention, however) when I wear them.

The mall was anti-climactic. I was expecting that it would have tons of stores we don't have in the city - but it didn't! It did have the forever 21 organic store and the forever 21 jewelry store - but I learned that I am not missing much by not having those here.

I was starved when I got there because I have no breakfast food in the house, and so didn't eat before I left. But, this mall is really weird - it has no food court! All it has is full service restaurants (and a few fast food places). I was soooo hungry - but I didn't want to go to a full service place (too expensive) and I also didn't want empty calories - so I was kind of stuck.

By the time I got to the asian market, I was dying of hunger (I had bubble tea at the mall - but that didn't cut it). But, finding anything vegetarian there (*they* have a food court) was nearly impossible. This is something that worries me terribly about ever traveling to asia - almost everything has meat or fish - which seems so odd to me given that asian countries are the places that invented tofu. If you have tofu, why do you need so much meat? And with miso and soy - why do you need fish broths?

I couldn't have soba noodles because the dipping broth had fish in it (which sucked because I love soba!). No ramen for the same reason. The chinese place had only a vegetarian cabbage dish, which I passed on (a plate of cabbage just sounded so uninteresting). The korean place offered to make me vegetarian bi bim bop - which excited me as I have actually been wanting to try it!

I don't know if I don't like bi bim bop - or if I had bad bi bim bop - but I am not a fan. In fact, my tummy is very unhappy with me over it.

So, I am now drinking "Gun Gun Gurt!" to try to soothe my tummy (it's basically a yogurt flavored water - yummier than it sounds) by Calpis (I love their drinks more than you can know). It has 225 milligrams of something, which is more milligrams of that thing than other things have - so apparently it is healthy, or salty, or fatty, or sugary or something. There's a picture on it of a guy flexing his muscles - so either drinking it will make me stronger or more narcissistic. I'm excited to see which.

On my way home, I was feeling really content - I felt like I'd had a good day (despite the sadness of my food interactions), and felt proud for having conquered new ground (aka the suburbs). I got on the bus that took me back to the train, paid, was walking to a seat, and fell flat on my bohiney. It was raining and the floor was wet, and the bus driver drove like an insane man - hence the fall. A woman screamed when I fell - which was pretty funny. Another woman lamented, "It is really slippery" and tons of people asked if I was okay. Not the bus driver though.

Then a beautiful Indian boy sat near me. Later after he and I both transferred to the train, he asked me for directions. I have such a thing for Indian boys (as in men - don't get scared) - I just find them to be so gorgeous and dreamy. Maybe I should head to little India tomorrow!

4 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

I remember the vegetarians among us struggling a bit when my research group went to Japan. Apparently it's possible to find food, but one must research and be quite persistent. I lived on pretzels I brought from home for much of the trip, so I struggled a bit myself, though for different reasons. :)

I'm super-excited to hear if the drink makes you strong or narcissistic! That was the funniest sentence I've read in a long time - nice work.

 
At 4:36 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I second post-doc about that sentence. It made me laugh out loud.

And I want to know what your going-to-the-market song you made up was!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

post doc: I think part of the issue would be that I LOVE japanese food (and thai food, and chinese food, and other asian foods) - so I would be super sad to not be able to eat locally. I would definitely research first - and I have seen places that give advice about how to phrase things so as to not be mislead.

styley: It's not an exciting song at all - but here are the lyrics: "Mitsuwa! Mitsuwa! The magical mythical place!"

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Okay, the lyrics are exctiting. And I now have them stuck in my head, although without music.

Also: a.) I also fear travelling to Asia, because I'm deathly allergic to seafood.

b.) I once slipped and did the splits on a bus. It was pretty embarassing (and hurt), and so I can sympathise.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home