.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.30.2007

Insomnia is cool



Tonight I couldn't sleep, and so stinkerbelle and I looked out the window. I didn't have my glasses on, and saw furry critters scurrying on our back fence and down a tree. I thought they were kitties, and I was fascinated that they were traveling all together.

I put my glasses on, looked outside and thought, "That's a damned big kitty!" Then I realized it was a raccoon - a mama raccoon with her 5 babies! The mama was trying to get them someplace, and kept calling to them - it sounded like the trilling noise that cats make. She took them back up the tree, and up around the fence - they were trying to get out of our yard (no food here I guess!). She went down the telephone post, and the babies were having trouble figuring out how to do that. She kept calling to them, and they kept trilling back. They all figured it out - except one! One baby was in a panic and kept calling to mama cuz he couldn't get down, and was running frantically back and forth on the fence. I thought I might have to go out and save a baby raccoon - but then luckily he climbed down the fence and ran after mama and the babies.

I had no idea we had raccoons here - this is the first time I've seen them here. In hippycollege town, when I used to housesit for my advisor, I would sometimes look in the backyard at night and see a bunch of raccoons coming out from under the deck at night and wandering around the backyard looking for food. I know they have a high likelihood of carrying rabies - but I love them.

4 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

They are the cutest things I ever saw.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Racoons are so adorable! I've seen 2 while I've been here, but no babies. I'm jealous :)

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Breena Ronan said...

They are so cute! Did they make funny noises? Every time I have seen raccoons they were noisy. One time they made really loud screeching noises fighting over all the food they were stealing from our packs. Another time some raccoons found the food we had packed into the "animal safe" box at our camp site and I swear they were making happy chirping noises as they munched on my bagels and chocolate. I couldn't really be mad, they seemed to be enjoying themselves so much.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Ooh, I just had the same experience. Though my window, I saw a black cat crossing the street. "My, but his butt is awfully high," I thought, "and he's walking a little funny." So I thought he might be hurt and tried to get a closer look. Nope, he's fine. He's just a racoon. Aren't they cute? (Just keep the cinnamon rolls out of their reach -- they LOVE cinnamon rolls).

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home