.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.20.2007

Not exactly reviews

I watched a bunch of movies this week, partly because I was sick and partly because I had a backlog of movies to watch. I've already instructed you to watch Science of Sleep - so that's taken care of. More recent flicks:

For your consideration.
This is apparently the last Christopher Guest film, which is really too bad as it was not nearly as good as previous films (and it wasn't a mockumentary!). There were some good bits and is definitely worth watching - but he needs another mockumentary. I'd like to suggest one about shrinks - or maybe about barbie fanatics (although really, if you watch any of the actual barbie documentaries, you might well think they were christopher guest films!).

When the levees broke.
I've only watched acts 1 and 2 thus far, and apparently they aren't nearly as good as the last two acts - so I am looking forward to watching those. I wasn't really very into the first two acts. I kind of put off watching them as I wasn't super excited to relive the events of Hurricane Katrina - but then I felt ridiculous for that as I didn't exactly ever "live" those events - I observed them from a distance. Plus, I think it is good to get it back into my psyche given that people's lives continue to be hugely disrupted by it, and yet no one is paying much attention (although there was a good nyt blurb this week about it). The first two acts, to me, just felt like a mild recapitulation of the news from that time. It was not nearly as affecting as the news was, and honestly, it was a bit of a bore. I expected more from Spike Lee -- more hard hitting criticism of those involved - more emotion, more anger, more bite - but it was kind of blasé. One good thing about it was that the film covered the first part of the relocation and evacuation - I don't know that how that was handled was well covered in the news. It also makes more sense to me (and seems less paranoid) why people thought that perhaps the levees bad been blasted open. It's worth watching - but don't expect to learn much that is new - and don't expect to really be moved by it. That said, the last two acts are supposed to cover the time period post-evacuation and more about the aftermath months afterwards - and that should be good. I'd like to suggest that someone do a follow-up of the film as I'm really curious as to the longer term effects - psychologically and otherwise. I also, frankly, would like to know what happened to all the money we donated afterwards given that the government still doesn't seem to have done anything for the evacuees. I had thought I was donating to help rebuild homes and lives - but my sense is that people are still living like refugees - and that's not okay.

Pan's Labyrinth.
I am grouchy with stinkerbelle because she made me watch this all by myself. I had kind of expected more violence - and not nearly as gruesome of violence. The violence was completely necessary, and horribly gruesome. The acting was incredible - as was the look of it. It was just an incredible film all around. I don't know what else to say. Okay, I just did a little research - I know little to nothing about Spanish history - but I am now intrigued (why is education wasted on the young when we have no interest in anything?). I had no idea Franco ruled until the mid-70s - that Spain was under a fascist dictatorship until he died in 1975. That's pretty incredible that they lived under that for so long - and then turned the country into a democracy. I had no idea.

Next up:
Goodbye, Lenin, When the levees broke (acts 3&4), and Little Children.

I also watched the first episode of the Sarah Silverman show. Does anyone/has anyone watched this? I'm not sure if I liked it or not. On the one hand, I think some of her humor is really clever and I relate to it/her. I liked her relationship with her sister and the twists she gave it and the resultant humor. I liked the american idol jab in the form of a talent show for cookies (real cookies). I liked the emotions - and the characters. But, I cannot stand her violent and disgusting humor. Do people think that stuff is really funny? Or is it just there for "edge"? I think if she just let the other humor stand on its own - it would be even funnier.

4 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Twirly said...

I recently watched Little Children right before bed - then had me some bad dreams....so warning....

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

I can tell you stories about Spain and remnants of the dictatorship...

One thing I always thought was interesting was that my Catalan friends, who were mostly born in 1975, had to have the Spanish version of their names put on their birth certificates. Consequently, this has been carried over to the national ID and passport. So my friend Ricard is Ricardo, Anna is Ana, Jordi is Jorge, and so on, on these official documents. It's not like that anymore, of course.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

Oh super, twirls - thanks for the warning. I have horrible nightmares after watching the sopranos.

ianqs: I totally want to hear all of the stories! Will you blog about them? Was that to be your "profound" post today?

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

No, I wasn't going to write about the dictatorship today. Although someone did mention (after I left you the comment) that today, modern spanish education completely ignores the period of the dictatorship. It stops just at the end of the civil war (so the kids know Franco won, but don't know what happened after).

No, I was actually going to introspect on what it feels like living in another country and always speaking another language, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to say.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home