.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.06.2007

Random bullets of those darned students...

  • Overheard on friday on my way to class: one female undergrad said to the other, "I got a ticket for public urination."
  • Today as I was leaving "World Imports" (a store, used to be "cost Plus") plotting a blogpost with the phrase "spotted dick" in it (see below post) someone said to me, "Hi Professor!" I turned and a female employee was staring at me - she looked vaguely familiar. She said, "You probably don't remember me - I was in your class maybe 2 years ago? Which class was it ....?" I looked at her nametag and said, "Psychology of ____?" She said, "Oh yeah!" I said, "You're in my class right now." she said, "Oh right, I was going to email you, I had a question...."
  • On friday, one of my students called Oprah a "cow." I was so stunned, I just stared at him and shook my head.
  • One student who likes the class came up afterwards and showed me all the text messages he had gotten recently that had to do with the class.
  • He later showed up at my office hour. I think he wanted to connect, and wanted to sort of fill me in on the college culture. He finds it challenging being a student there because he said it feels exactly like high school to him - replete with cliques. He noted that he is astounded that my students (he sat in the back today, which he doesn't typically) act shocked and offended by things I say, and disbelieve me. He noted that it makes him sad because he thinks a lot of the points I raise are really interesting and worth discussion - but that they are too sheltered, or naive, or lack the curiousity to do so.
  • I felt badly for him because as we were talking my office mate came in and sat at his desk and joined in the conversation. I had no problem with him coming in, but I think it a bit intrusive to assume he could join in on a conversation between me and a student.
  • This office mate also informed me that I was not allowed to call myself a professor since I lack a PhD, and can only call myself an "instructor." I am not enjoying my office mate.

Random bullets of working in cafes...
  • I almost got killed or seriously injured when I was working in a tea shop friday morning. Some weird guy walked past me and somehow knocked over a shelving unit of tea pots. Had it been just a few inches taller or closer, it would have fallen on top of me.
  • I think Danny Bonaduce has not only been waiting on me at Panera, I think he may also have hit on me.
  • I was going to work at that same Panera today to grade some papers, but one of the cashiers tends to make sexist comments or come ons to the female customers, and so I decided to skip it.

Simply random: I really hope Charla and Mirna don't win Amazing Race. I'm rooting for the blondes - even though I have no idea which is which. I'd just like a female team to winl, for once.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Your office mate sucks so much.

Maybe you should explain to him that in the part of the world that invented the English language, you only get to be a "professor" if you have an endowed chair. And therefore he and just about everyone else he knows is also using the title incorrectly :)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Anastasia said...

i agree with styley. your office mate is a major prick.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Is this the same office mate who really isn't assigned to the office? He really is an anal-retentive asshole, isn't he?

So, were the other text messages good text messages? Also, sounds like you are getting some positive feedback here!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home