.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.27.2007

So happyz, Is culd cry

Uh, I've been oding on lolcats thanks to styley - hence the title.

A new grocery story opened up in our neighborhood the other day. We are all pretty excited about this, as we had been a grocery store desert before that - there are a bunch of specific ethnic grocery stores in the area - but they tend to be small and not super cheap - and not exactly vegetarian friendly.

So grocery shopping has been a chore and takes a lot of planning. But now we have the most gorgeous grocery store ever in our very own neighborhood. I just went, and seriously was near tears. It is just so awesome that they decided to come to our neighborhood when so many grocery stores have passed us up because the income level is "too low" to be attractive to them (this means you whole foods and trader joe's!) (I almost typed "trader hoe's"). But now we have a huge grocery store that rivals anything in my mom's area. Given that she lives on the west coast and in a suburb of a big city - you know that means something (as in, they have huge gorgeous grocery stores there - they overwhelm me).

This store is particularly awesome because they really support our ethnic diversity. The hispanic section was incredible - one girl kept exclaiming over all the things in that section (loteria, horchata mix, incredible frozen foods, cotija cheese). There is a nice sugar free section - and an even nicer gluten-free section. I didn't find the vegetarian section - maybe that stuff if woven into all the other sections - I'll have to check next time as I forgot to check to see if they had vegetarian chilis and soups. But, they did have a great selection of soy milk, amy's frozen foods (albeit more expensive than target's amy's stuff), organic foods, soy cheese (forgot to check for soy bologna and hot dogs - and forgot to check for good tofu - all I found was silken - yuck), they even had spud puppies (yum! organic tater tots that are low fat and not spiced), and a maple-fig vinaigrette that I am dying to try. They had products I'd never seen before. And they had tofutti (yay!). I couldn't find tempeh - but honestly, I can't really expect a non-vegetarian/health food place to carry that. And oh, they also had pasta barilla's plus pasta line (extra protein and whole wheat) in the shapes I love. Yay!

The place is huge, clean, the employees are friendly (I hope they are well paid and have good benefits). I'm so thrilled they are here, and I hope we support them well. They were pretty busy already - and have only been open 3 days, so I think that's a good sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home