.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.13.2007

The socially awkward trifecta

If you are socially awkward, a crazy cat lady, socially anxious, have worries you have some permutation of asberger's disorder, are socially avoidant, etc., then this trifecta is for you. Or maybe not.

Unlike the movie "The science of sleep," these three films may well cause you to feel even worse about your social awkwardness. Part of the problem is that you may watch these films, find your self really identifying with the socially awkward character, and you see people reacting negatively to that person which kind of both reassures you and makes you feel badly, and then BAM they do something so horrific you get scared that you are capable of such horribleness.

Here's the trifecta.

The first movie I remember seeing like this was "A dangerous woman." I actually identified far more with the book than the movie - so read the book instead. I just read the summary on imdb, and the main character is described as retarded ... I don't remember that from the book though. Anyway, I really identified with her dificulties with her relationships, and then all of a sudden, she committed murder. It sucked.


The forest for the trees is the second of the trifecta. It is about a needy and socially awkward teacher who moved to a new town. She has just graduated with a degree in education and is so excited to try out all of her interesting teaching methods, and excited to meet new friends. And, it all goes badly. I actually would like it if someone could watch this one and explain the ending to me (I'm not sure I understand german highways enough to understand the ramifications of what happens at the end.

And finally is Notes on a scandal. I finally saw this this weekend, and although I liked it - I'm tired of seeing people with whom I really resonate (Judi Dench's character in the first, oh 5 minutes) being crazy and doing horrible things. I recommend it, I just wish they had let us get to know the characters and get to like them before the bad stuff happened. In part because I felt like it would have been more powerful had the audience liked the characters more, so that we too felt betrayed by the actions.

So, if you are at all like me, and if you have a need to punish yourself for your awkwardness, watch these three films! But follow it up with Science of sleep to give yourself a little bit of hope.

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I thought the movie was really mean to Judi Dench's character in Notes on a Scandal. The book is neutral toward her, I thought.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

(I'm trying to say that the book was better and I didn't get the negative vibe from her character in the book at all.)

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Is it true that the main reason you wrote this post was so you could use the word "trifecta"? (Because it's an awesome word.)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home