.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

5.27.2007

Turning Japanese

Yesterday at the Asian market, I was sitting at a table next to a Japanese family. The little boy (2 or 3 years old) kept smacking his little sister on the head and saying, "Konichiwa!" I kind of got excited cuz I know that word, and I got deluded for a second thinking I could talk to him, and considered saying Konichiwa to him. At that point, I realized that I am more at the 6month old level of Japanese speaking, not the 3-year-old! Here is all the Japanese I know (not necessarily spelled correctly):

Konichiwa (hi!)
gengideska (how are you?)
gengidesio (I am fine)
ich ni san shi go rok shichi hachi ku ju (one through 10 in Japanese )
he ho i yo eats mu na ya koko to (one through ten in old japanese)
kokekoko (rooster)
macchickennugito (part of the chicken mcnugget theme song)
mushi mushi (how to say hello on the phone)
and I can sing "yellow submarine" in Japanese.

Yes, indeed, I could not even hold a conversation with a 3-year-old in Japanese. I could, however, possibly make a 3-year-old feel superior.

2 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

I love that you can sing "yellow submarine" in Japanese. Most awesome secret talent. Ever.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous twirly said...

For the time when you want to introduce yourself and Stinkerbelle:

wa-ta-she-wa Shrinky-des (my name is Shrinky)

nek-o (cat)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home